Nov
2010

The Story Behind Jay-Z’s Boy, Emory Jones + His Early Prison Departure

“This is the operator with a collect call from ‘Emory Jones’
To accept the charges, press one now.”

Documents of how Jay-Z assisted with Emory Jones’ release from prison are now circulating the web. Emory Jones, Jay-Z’s close friend and cousin, was released from prison earlier this year. Emory had been locked-up in January 2000, after pleading guilty to a cocaine trafficking charge and was sentenced to nearly 16 years in prison. Allegedly, Emory ran a coke ring in Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

Emory Jones

Musically, the world was introduced to Emory on Jay’s song, “Do U Wanna Ride?” After Jay-Z wrote and released Decoded, the world was further introduced to Emory, who Jay had grew up with in Marcy projects.

Apparently, Jay’s input in Emory’s early release assisted. Jay wrote a letter to Judge Benson Legg, explaining that upon Emory’s release, he had a $50k  job offer for Emory Jones to work as an executive assistant at Roc Apparel Group. Check the letter below.

C/O The Smoking Gun

With the help of this letter and a motion filed last August by Emory, the judge granted Jones’ motion and shaved 37 months off his sentence, with a 5 year probation. Full story here.

“See I’m the eyes for Emory, keep him alive
(This is a collect call) So everytime I press five
All he wanna hear is his boy talk fly
Up in the fed, and still holdin his head
So when he hits the streets he gon’ eat through this bread”

28 Comments to “The Story Behind Jay-Z’s Boy, Emory Jones + His Early Prison Departure”

1. atl girl says:

Emory and jayz are not cousins. Emory was born and raised in Cambrigde md. Jay is from new york and not even from the projects mercy his homies where from there.

jay-z lied about not knowing tupac

3. Wonderful issues altogether, you just received a new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your submit that you just made a few days ago? Any positive?

4. Ty says:

Actually, Jay and E are cousins; however, E did grow up in Cambridge, MD and attended schools there, through graduating high school in 1991. He is a great friend. The story’s switched, as Jay spent summers, growing up with us, in Cambridge…hanging out in the Projects. When Haiwaiian Sophie dropped, Jay was in Groove aka Cambridge, and we all hung, chilled etc. I’m glad that Jay was able to get E out, as you reported; however, DJ Pandy Pee as well as EVERYONE in our tightly knitted community launched and supported a “Free Emory Jones” initiative, and thousands of letters were written. While I’m sure Jay’s letter helped, Groove City pushed to get E out. Let’s be clear.

• atl says:

lol how are they cousin? threw Dalphine his mother because jay ain’t related to the Clash’s at all. And when jay first came to groove him Dehavan, Love, Half, Panama, Ta-ta(jay’s real cousin), moet and a few others where homies. Dehaven introduced Groove to all of them threw Patty.

• 05813- says:

BTW he was happy as hell when he see him setting front and center last night at the game with his boy.

• JackPurcell says:

Jay and Emory aren’t cousins…they met through Jay’s boy, DeHaven. DeHaven was the top dog and ran the show, Jay was DeHaven’s right hand, and Emory was their number one and they embraced him like family…these dudes didn’t meet Emory until the late 80’s…and if you want to question how I know…I saw it all with my own eyes…I knew Emory when we were both in high school…before all this took place, and I saw it all evolve…

5. REALington says:

ty whats prevalent i need a job. gotta put c*@%k to the back

6. I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this The Story Behind Jay-Z’s Boy, Emory Jones + His Early Prison Departure theJASMINE.BRAND for my mission.

7. Mack says:

Jay is from the projects. What are u taking bout. And it’s spelled Marcy

Don’t forget Buzzy….

9. Baltimore94 says:

This crazy, I thought my Dad was lying all these years about him knowing Jay z. My dad has been in the “game” since he was 15. My dad is from Vienna,MD which is not far from Cambridge. My dad told me that they were cool back in the day and Jay-z helped him when he was first starting out. (He worked for Jay Z I’m guessing) Small world.

10. big 8 says:

emory jones and kareme biggs burke are the slient partners of the roc.

Get a Job, who phuccin cares….

12. 05813- says:

My man was locked up with EJ. He came home before EJ got out, but pointed him out to me and told lots of stories how the other inmates never believed who he was. But my man knew it was on the real.

13. […] REFERENCEShttp://thejasminebrand.com/2010/11/20/the-story-behind-jay-zs-boy-emory-jones-his-early-prison-depar… […]

• Anonymous says:

Emory jones is a real,dude. I was in the bing with him(mello@ottisville). Who cares if he jayz cousin or not. He eatin now though……

14. new nigga says:

what really happen between Dehaven and jay-z and why couldn’t Emory set them down to talk it out when he got out of prison.

15. Extremely, Developers will have to focus on more than purely authority on it’s own. If the device is highly quantity running fashionable 3rd group lets out sometimes on spend the One combined with PS4, That’ll be a great open, And then actually, All to be required of the device. I have in every case pronounced a controller or xbox able to rush a first class third get together match along with the current dumbfounding first get in line excellent would be.
    buy wildstar Credits http://www.wildstargold-blog.com/entertainment