Nov
2011

Three’s-A-Crowd :: The Story Behind the Ludacris, Big Sean & Drake Beef

A new rap battle between Ludacris, Drake, and Big Sean seems to be picking up some momentum. So how did the so-called “battle” begin? It all started with an interview Drake did back in May. He admitted that the “Hashtag” rap flow he uses in the song, “Forever,” is from his friend Big Sean. (This flow is when rappers focus on using metaphors at the ends of the lines in their lyrics.) During the interview, Drake also called out Ludacris for using the “Hashtag” style incorrectly in the song “My Chick Bad.” Drake said,

“I don’t want to sound cocky, but the best way it’s been used was on ‘Forever.’ Those lines just all individually make so much sense. They’re all punchlines. Then a bunch of rappers started doing it and using the most terrible references in the world. I don t want to offend somebody. I hate that rappers picked that flow up. I wish they had left that for people that know how to use it. [They go like] ‘It’s a parade! Macy’s!’”

In a separate interview, Big Sean agreed with Drake and explained how he originated the “Hashtag” rapping style (a.k.a the Supa Dupa flow). Big Sean said that the first time he used it was in his song, “Supa Dupa,” In the song he spit rhymes like,

“Used to be bottom, Scuba

So I’m on the grind, skateboard or Scooter

‘Till I am the king of my castle, Koopa”

During his interview, Big Sean explained,

“With the Super Duper flow, I created that one word rhyme style. Drake really made it more popular, but Drake gave me the credit and was like ‘I really got that from Big Sean…’ I think some artists just did it so wack man. Every time I say names I get in trouble and it’s like I’m dissing, but some people used it wack. If [Drake] said Ludacris used it wack, hey… Don’t get it wrong I’m not trying to diss Ludacris or nothing. He’s a great MC. But even though that style got so overused, there was a lot of people who did it great and there was a lot of people who didn’t do it so great. People always ask me ‘Was you mad that people took that style from you?’ I’m like, ‘Nah, that shows me how far I can go as an artist.’ I feel like I changed Hip-Hop.”

Fast forward to the present day and Ludacris has decided to respond. The song “Bada Boom” on his new mixtape, 1.21 Gigawatts, (which was released on Tuesday the 15th) allegedly takes shots at Big Sean and Drake. Ludacris never uses either rapper’s name, but he does address the fact that he has been called out for copying the Hashtag style. Here are some of the lyrics:

“I’m the truth in this booth and you niggas all hoes

Counterfeit rappers say I’m stealing their flows

But I can’t steal what you never made up bitch

Y’all some duplicate rap cloning niggas, I manufacture you hoes put on your makeup bitch

Nothing’s been new since Big Daddy Kane

Flows will get recycled, passed around in different names…”

And another song on the mixtape, titled “History Lesson,” features snippets from rap legends like Biggie, Q-Tip, and Method Man using this same type of Hashtag flow that Big Sean says he created.

In a recent interview, on Sway In The Morning, all Luda had to say was,

“I don’t start these things, I finish them.”

Sounds like a battle to me! Do you think Ludacris stole Big Sean’s Supa Dupa/Hashtag Flow?  Here’s audio of Ludacris’ “Bada Boom.”

Sources: XXL & RapFix

-@Kami2Kute

47 Comments to “Three’s-A-Crowd :: The Story Behind the Ludacris, Big Sean & Drake Beef”

1. Cabot C says:

Me and the fellas used to ride around and rap like that in 1995!!!! He didn’t create a damn thing……………

• in 1995, rick ross was selling dat drug. rick ross da realest in da gyme, he run da streets and he run da best things around.

rick ross says he da boss. he is right cuz he da boss.

rick ross 4 ever.

• Anonymous says:

whats does that have to do with anything you dick riding idiot

• Anonymous says:

actually rick ross didn’t do anything. he was a correctional officer before he blew up and his whole rap persona is based off of someone else’s life, the REAL Rick Ross. he’s not moving any weight and probably never did. thats real shit, go look it up. i’m not hatin on ross’s hustle tho, i fuck wit his music, but stop acting like he did all the shit he said he did…it’s actually a complete lie. stop jockin already.

• Anonymous says:

Rick ross lol wow dis retard

• Anonymous says:

THANK YOU! Just like Luda said; Get a couple hit records make some noise and have the nerve to start shouting

2. Slim 6'9 says:

Its a shame how he just belive he changed hip hop. I really cant belive what i just read!

• nadi monchery says:

Luda is right, nothing in music is original anymore…why is drake mad, Nicki stole lil kims style and never gave her credit,whats the biggy..

• not ture nadi.

rick ross da baddest. he like trina, he da baddest.

luda still his flows like a robber steals things from people.

• Anonymous says:

U sound dumb as hell lmao seriously

• Anonymous says:

Rick ross has got the be litteraly THE worst rapper in the history of hiphop. Repeating the same line over and over doesnt count as rapping. You cant rhyme 8 ball with 8 ball 4 times in a row. Not to mention he stole his name and entire persona from the real Rick Ross who is in jail for creating the most destructive narcotic known to man. Something to really be proud of. A product that has destroyed your “fans” lives for years. All of you uneducated kids take a look at The real “Rick Ross” William Leonard Roberts II was born in Coahoma County, Mississippi and raised in Carol City, Florida, near Miami. After graduating from Carol City Senior High School, he later attended the historically black college Albany State University on a football scholarship. Doesnt sound like such a ganstahhh to me. GOOGLE IT

• dear slim 6’9 (if dat is ur real name)

dont forget bout how rick ross created wrapping the best way. da rick ross way.

rick ross does dings dat only da boss is allowed to do. rick ross in da house n rick ross raises da roof to da celing.

3. chlex says:

Ludacris is dope and he’s right….new mc’s are stealing lines and claiming dem as their own…luda is tyter than both Sean and drake

4. i dink dat da baddest rappa in da game is rickie ickie rossie. he da boss of dall bosses. he make me penis hard.

5. Butterfly says:

Ok i feel drake he is one of the young cats that realy just does it right, he is an amazing mc…. Big sean he is ait not bad at all….but if this boys go against ludacris that will be a bad choice coz luda is on of the illest greatest mc in the game…he is a monster in the booth this boys will get eaten up….leave beef and keep hip hop a live!! One

• buttafli,

u ant b reeliz’in dat da cook been moved from earlier age by rickie stickie wish i culd give him a hicky ross. he da best in da game.

real recognize real. rick ross in da house, da ruff is on fire.

• lets get this from a white kids view, all of these rappers are ok but they rap about the same thing nd whoeva the fuck chilly chill chill is shut the fuck up about rick ross, u lame ahh fuck bruh, we talkin sumthin else nd u keep postin bout rick ross fat ahh fallback wit dat shit lame ahh dude

• Anonymous says:

Beef is nessesary in the rap game to take out the weak n leave the strang .. Survival.of tue fittest

6. Rick Ross Is Wack says:

Rick ross is trash is not lyrical at all he just raps about all the liquor he drinks all the cars he got and huffs and puffs on the track cause hes so overweight and it sounds like hes dieing

7. Dis must be april fuul day cus u acking da fuul.

how u gonna hate on sumone who duing his ding?

lets agree two dis. rick ross da best wrapper in da game. ludacris is second best. freeky zeekys is third best. and jay z is gay.

miama in da house. rick ross in da house. u are not. fol (fart out loud)

8. fuck chilly chill chill says:

Bitch u a foo. Rick ross ain’t shit. U heard 50 cent. Ross ain’t shit and fuck yo lil hoe ass nigga u like ross then u don’t like hip hop. Bitch u a pop ass nigga. Oops I did it again hoe ass nigga. Luda is the shit bitch nigga

9. i agree with chilly chill chill says:

YO, CHILLY CHILL CHILL SPEAKING DA TUTH!

RICK ROSS ALL DAY (HE MAKE ME WET DA BED AND I’M GAY ASIAN GRANDMA DOGGIE)

10. Ali potatoes says:

Rick Ross hip hop?!? How foolish to relate him to hip hop when he is clearly rap. Hip hop has more flow and meaning. Personally all these Luda’s, Drake’s, Ross’, and Sean’s aren’t in a hip hop bracket. And all such modern drama. But out of the 4 mentioned, Luda lays it down the thickest and most dramatic. He whoops all the others. And personally I’d rather hear Atmosphere or Aesop Rock. Break away from your radio and find the real talent!

11. CHILLY CHILLY DA BOMB says:

how can anyone argue with chilly chill chill.

HE DA MAN WIT DA PLAN!

SAYING STUFF MAKE ME WANNA DO MY DING DING!

12. Claudia says:

Ludracris is the best. I would never think of him stealing anything. He’s unique and smart. 11 years, come on now.

13. chilly chill chill be speaking da tooth.

how u gonna deny da boy his poops!

14. OhSoChi says:

Let me start by saying that Ludacris is a great rapper but I have to agree that he is wack when it comes to the hashtag style. Idk if Big Sean created the hashtag flow but he definately brought it back, then Drake started using it and then everyone was doing it again (i.e. Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Ludacris, and more). sn Lil Kim ain’t got nothing on Nicki Minaj and Rick Ross is a phony (used to be a cop).

15. Fuck RR says:

Lets not forget, the “bad ass” Rick Ross was a COP. Dumb fucking people

• ludaAllday says:

Luda been here will be here and rappers like drake and big sean will come and go. Luda knows he didn’t “create” the style never said it. He ain’t go on about how they can’t rap for real. He just making music and drake and big sean wanna steal from his shine to get more play And Rick ross was a c.o. And he prob was bringing that shit to the ppl in there running dealing bigger than on the streets think about it he was just slick wit it.

16. luda is da shit fuck wat drake nd sean say he didnt change shit or create shit

17. YO, CHILLY CHILL CHILL MAKING ME HOT AND HORNY DOGGIE!

WOOF WOOF!

18. big mane jr. says:

ok ludacris is a legend who did bite a style but every rapper does, the fact is once you put something into hip-hop its up for grabs, lil wayne created the word bling-bling so now is every rapper that uses the word bling a bitter ? and yeah that hashtag line luda used wasn’t the hottest but neither bg sean or drake is at a level where they can say anything about any rapper that has been doing this for 12 ears and still one of the best out right now … solution = apologize to luda or else he will get back to that stomp shit lol

19. Me says:

ghetto ass niggers.

20. Chilly Chill Chill says:

Rick Ross make me wanna suck my own wang all day.

Rick Ross make me say wabbaly wabbale, wob wobbin wobbin, Rickie so cute got my ass cheeks a throbbin.

21. Yung Kyle says:

why you niggas talkin about rick ross dis beef has nothin to do wit dat nigga in da first place

22. Saito says:

Luda da shit fuck drake big sean 8 albums n luda still in this bitch

23. Da Truth says:

y’all niggaz funny… Chilly whatever and all those followin him…fuck y’all dumb ass motherfuckers.! We talking bout Luda(he da shit btw) and y’all faggots bring up that dick sucker… Rick ain’t hiphop! Stupid! I fucks with his music but he aint hiphop!… Get yo’ facts ryt Bitches! Dick ryders! Shit!

Mayn my lil stater created dat style of flow!

25. BlackSam says:

You guys are retarded. First of all, Chilly Chill and all variations of that name is the same dumbass trying to seem as if people are with him and begging for attention. Ross is irrelavent and has no flow that makes you just be like, “damn.” so he’s dismissed. Name one song of his where someone said, “Damn, Rick Ross got off on that track”. Dont worry, ill wait… Okay now that that shits out of the way, I think someone else said it earlier but Luda is a great rapper. I bang his shit all the time but hash tag isn’t his style. He shouldn’t be trippin. He should just keep doing what he’s been doing. It’s working obviously, the dude is a legend. Hash tagging was around before Big Sean but not as popular as it is today and for him to take credit is foolish. Drake has cultivated that style to his own and that’s what makes him a good artist. If someone says it isn’t your style, why niggas gotta get butt hurt. It’s constructive criticism from one professional to another. Niggas so worried about they ego, they so quick to run to the booth and put out a diss record.

26. dmvREP2UP2down says:

1. hashtag flow is a good name – perhaps dude’s real claim is that he gave the flow a name. but to think he developed/created it — when even in THIS article it is reported that several artists had used it prior (Biggie, Q-Tip, Method Man) — facts is facts. you cant create what somebody else did. u can say u popularized more, used it better, etc. but to try and stand on the “i created it” throne is just phuckin dumb!
    2. does there always have to be a “such and such is fake” school of thought? rick ross [not my favorite] has some hot tish and some wack ish .. but to say he isn’t hip hop at all.. come on. that’s way too extreme to be realistic or respected – rick ross got enough lyrical ability to stand on top of his game – its just a different lane.. hip hop fans gotta stop tryin to kill hip hop artists outta a misguided thought that hip hop (the artform) will die … it will live on 4ever
    [and we all know that lil b the based god is the worse rapper alive) - but im not hatin [lol-maybe just a little bit]

27. Kenneth says:

well, i will not say much ’bout dis shit, but all i have to say is that luda is the best 4get the shit drake nd shean is saying that’s trash. ludacris the greatest rapper i have ever come across since rap started.

28. fuck chilly dumbass says:

Wow this fool not only illiterate but retarded ass fuc, go kill yourself. Faggot. Chilly