Mar

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 7.55.20 AM

For the past week or so, fans and critics have been buzzing about some controversial lyrics, by 37-year-old rapper Rick Ross. The content in question is in a song called “U.O.E.N.O.” where he rhymes:

“Put molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it. I took her home and I enjoyed that–she ain’t even know it.”

Taken literal, folk argue that these lyrics are dangerous and highly inappropriate. In fact, an organization has started a petition, demanding that Reebok withdraw their endorsement with Ricky:

Rewarding a man who brags about raping women sends a dangerous message. Rick Ross’ lyrics about drugging and raping a woman are offensive and outrageous, and Reebok should drop him as a spokesperson immediately.

In an interview with Q93, Rozay has finally addressed his controversial lyrics. He explained:

“I want to make sure this is clear that woman is the most precious gift known to man. It was a misunderstanding with a lyric, a misinterpretation where the term rape wasn’t used. But I would never use the term rape in my records and as far as my camp, hip-hop don’t condone that, the streets don’t condone that. Nobody condones that. I just wanted to reach out to all the queens that’s on my timeline, all the sexy ladies, the beautiful ladies that had been reaching out to me with the misunderstanding. We don’t condone rape and I’m not with that.”

Here’s his full interview below; at the 4:53 remark, he addresses the lyrics.

And here’s the song in question.

What are your thoughts about the lyrics? Is it simply artistic expression and folk are being overly sensitive? Or are the lyrics dangerous and inappropriate?

[In Flex We Trust, Rap-Up]

p5rn7vb

6 Comments to “Rick Ross Says Lyrics About Poppin’ Mollys & Raping Women Were Misinterpreted: ‘I Would Never Use the Term Rape’”

1. Whatever says:

He sure doesn’t act like women are precious gift. He doesn’t rap about them as a percious gift, he’s a damn creep. I’m tired of these rappers saying anything, and the fans that are somehow tranced into thinking this is how to go about life. Rick can sit down, because i’m sure that’s the only way he could get a decent woman to willingly let him on top of her. I don’t believe you Rick…so go away.

2. Razzi says:

He doesn’t use the “term” rape in his lyrics- he just talks about drugging a woman and having sex with her without her consent- but he doesn’t say RAPE… He’s a clown for this lyric. What other way can it be taken than literally? And what was the misunderstanding? I think we all clearly understood what he was saying and what he means by it.

But, we are talking about the same man that has built his image and persona around someone else’s name and life. He’s a clown

• Lovleylegs says:

I agree! Just because he doesn’t say rape does not mean he is not talking about rape. What is it when you put a drug a in a woman’s drink, have sex with and she doesn’t know it!?! Consent? I think not! What an idiot!

3. Lez says:

Boy bye. Between him and Wayne, I can’t. Rap is grabage. Hard to say, but it’s true. Mostly pure garbage.

4. Miss AG says:

Oh my freaking gosh….he and the producers actually thought this was a good idea? Was this played on the radio? Shame shame shame on the radio stations if they actually played it. When did druging someone and having sex with them with them without their consent stopped being RAPE but is instead “reaching out to all the queens on my timeline”? Does he have any idea how stupid that sounded. He should have apologize for even wasting studio time for that crap and pull the song immediately.

5. GB says:

His response is just as offensive as the original lyric. Saying that women are a ‘gift’ to men is extremely offensive and reinforces what he obviously thinks of women…that we are just there for mens’ pleasure. Everything about this condones rape. Absolutely terrible.