May

tiny-chris kelly-funeral-a-the jasmine brand

It was a sad day in Atlanta, as hundreds came out to mourn the death of 90′s hip-hop sensation Chris Kelly. Kelly, half of the famed duo Kris Kross, passed away last week due to unknown causes.

da brat-chris kelly-funeral-a-the jasmine brand

keke wyatt-chris kelly-funeral-a-the jasmine brand

The 34-year-old rapper was found unconscious in his Atlanta home. Group member Chris “Daddy Mac” Smith, So-So Def CEO Jermaine Dupri, label mate Da Brat, Tameka “Tiny” Cottle, KeKe Wyatt and members of Xscape were among those who came out to show their support along side family and friends.

chris kelly-funeral-a-the jasmine brand

Jermaine-Dupri-Chris-Kelly-Funeral-2013-The-Jasmine-Brand.jpg

chris-kelly-funeral-xscape funeral-the jasmine brand

chris-kelly-funeral-kriss kross-the jasmine brand

Some in attendance including Smith and Dupri wore their pants backwards in honor of the distinct and signature trend started by Kris Kross during their days of stardom. KeKe Wyatt along with LaTocha and Tamika Scott performed at the service, accompanied by a touching speech from a teary-eyed Smith. Here are some words Smith shared with the audience:

It’s been a struggle; every day since Kelly’s death. I know Chris is in heaven. He was a true friend…I just wanna say I love you, man…and I’m gonna miss you dearly. I know I can’t fill Chris’ shoes, but I’m always gonna be here, we had too many memories so I’m not gonna try and go through the 30 years that we kicked it.

He added:

My life…it ain’t ever gonna be the same, but I just hope our legacy for hip hop is never forgotten. I’m gonna do my part to make sure Chris’ legacy will live on.”

Dupri remained silent during the service but did take to Twitter to say:

Jermaine-Dupri-Chris-Kelly-Funeral-2013-The-Jasmine-Brand.jpg

Dupri who discovered Kelly and Smith when they were only preteens explained:

It was like we were just kids that were into the same things and he played video games. He played basketball. He played baseball. He played football. He rapped. He swam. He was just a natural kid, like a person that you want to be around at all times because he would never not want to be doing anything.

It is still unclear how Kelly passed away as an official cause of death is still pending. It is speculated that Kelly was abusing both cocaine and heroin the night before being found unresponsive.
Here’s some footage of the service:

[Us Weekly, TMZ, Twitter, E News, Instagram]

Photo Credit: Prince Williams/ATLPics.net

-@crelsmusic

[EDITOR's NOTE: Internally, we've had an ongoing discussion about posting funeral photos and coverage. I won't share my thoughts on the matter, but wanted to hear readers' thoughts. Is it inappropriate for the media to share photos, provide coverage at a funeral? ]

14 Comments to “[Video] Tiny, Jermaine Dupri, Keke Wyatt Attend Chris Kelly’s Funeral In Atlanta”

1. Dub-B(female type) says:

I think its a tad weird, and it’s a grieving period. I wouldn’t want cameras all up in my face while I’m mourning the death of a loved one.

2. Xaviera says:

As we discussed via Twitter it’s one of those things that makes you feel uncomfortable out of respect for the family. But, we live in a transparent society now.

The family allowed press and media inside knowing pics and video would be taken so…

Whitney Houston’s funeral was televised. I’m still in awe about that. But, it’s the world we live in. *shrugs* XOXO

3. Tazzy says:

I understand why they did it. He was an open person n loved his fans. It seemed his family wanted to share this moment with us. I’m thankful for this and Whitney’s and Michael’s. It helps us as fans deal, as well. I hope they had a separate time to grieve within themselves.

• Tanya says:

I agree. It really does matter what the family wants to allow as they are the ones that only matter. However, for these public figures, it’s a blessing when a family allows media in, so that fans can have closure too. Whitney’s funeral services had that one camera in that one position. You didn’t have cameras all over the place, catching people wiping their faces etc., so it was less evasive. I don’t think it’s a bad that media be allowed, since we are in the reality tv and social media phase. We have pretty much an instant way to reach out to the celebrity well more now than ever before. I do appreciate it in times like this, as long as everything is done decent and in order.

4. Cairns says:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog.

An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

5. Hi there! I understand this is somewhat off-topic however I needed to ask.
    Does operating a well-established website such as yours require a lot of work?

I am brand new to running a blog however I do write in my diary everyday.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my personal experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

6. I think this is one of the most vital information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles
    is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

7. Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is available on net?

8. charter boat says:

You could certainly see your enthusiasm in the article you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

9. Hi, I do believe this is a great web site. I stumbledupon it ;) I may revisit once again since I bookmarked it.
    Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to guide others.

10. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This
    piece of writing posted at this site is actually good.

11. Thank you for any other great article. The place else could anybody
    get that type of information in such an ideal approach of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at
    the look for such information.

12. It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to
    be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips.
    Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I want to read more things about it!