May

miguel-calls black people judgmental-the jasmine brand

Recently, singer Miguel’s tweets about race have sparked some online backlash and support. The 27-year-old, who has been in the media for the past week for the infamous leg drop at the Billboard Awards, made a comment about Blacks being the most judgmental group of folk. What triggered his comments? Some suggest he’s a bit annoyed with some of the ‘leg drop‘ backlash, while others say he’s annoyed in general by folks (mainly Blacks) being overly critical about his style in general. Nonetheless, peep his comments:

….yet most of these people pointing the finger wear things like “the cross” around their neck. Historically, a PAGAN symbol. Im proud of my heritage but honestly, black people are the most judgmental people in the world.

Sh*ts sad man. we’ve been conditioned, pre-programmed to hate ourselves … that’s why I appreciate those who choose to think and act for themselves regardless of ethnicity or culture…the problem can not be fixed until the problem is recognized. Not everyone is the same thank goodness. And obviously, I love all my fans…Of course EVERYONE is judgemental. I just PERSONALLY believe WE are the most critical of our own…

For the record, and I’m not sure if this does or doesn’t matter, but Miguel is bi-racial. His father is Mexican and his mother African American. Anywho, what are your thoughts about Migel’s comments? Does he have a point in saying blacks are UBER judgmental? Or are his comments off base?

b-miguel-calls black people judgmental-the jasmine brand

22 Comments to “A Bi-Racial Miguel Calls Black People The Most Racist Group of People, Is He Right?”

1. Girl says:

I mean he’s telling the truth. We are all mixed with a lot or else would would have alot of the same features just like certain tribes or regions in Africa. But here we are all mixed with something but this nation has conditioned us so well that all we see is black…regardless if it’s comprised of different cultures or not. They took away our culture and this is why we have so many lost men walking around, so many lost women walking around. He has a different style and he doesn’t need the approval or one race in America. I think it’s hilarious and the leg thing just let it go Miguel it was funny, people are going to talk with so much access with things like twitter people will always talk. It is now part of Pop Culture History so embrace it.

2. vapariga says:

I think that he could have a point BUT that being said, I think that Blacks are the most criticized race who always have to push extra hard or go the extra mile to prove themselves too. So conditioned, well…maybe, call it what you like until you walk in those shoes. Not to make excuses but even when you keep hitting or bashing a dog, eventually they’re going to bite you. Even the greatest of the greats can’t catch a break…Our President included. So I think Miguel needs to stop feeling himself and fall back. I like his music and the fact that he has a unique style (well sorta/kinda – because personally when I first saw him, he reminded me of Little Richard) – think about it!. Anyway, we all know that the leg drop wasn’t intentional…he made his public apology, the girl is fine, so keep it professional and LET IT GO! People are going to take it and run with it, so why is he even bothering to comment just to aggrivate public opinion about him even further?! Just because he may be on top now, we all know that he could be a one hit wonder come next year! Especially if he loses his fan base, which is most likely a good portion black.

I believe that African-Americans are the most critical at bashing each other. That envy and jealousy bug has bit so hard that we’ve become unattached to society. This is something that started back in slavery days with the lighter-skin being kept in the house and the dark-skin ones out in the fields. That was when that wedge was placed between. I feel like we should be the ones to embrace our culture more than any other simply because of the different shades that we come in. And besides, everybody knows that black goes great with EVERYTHING!!!!! Don’t HATE, COMMUNICATE!!!!

4. MacBook Pro Ho says:

STFU Miguel! Does he have a PR person or manager?! Someone needs to stop him from jumping and talking!

5. Tazzy says:

Hey Miguel, don’t bite the hand, Boo!

The headline to this article is a bit misleading- he’s saying we are judgmental not racist. That being said, I think AA’s do tend to be super critical of our own because of always wanting to put the best (as we see it) forward and upfront. We all know, if your black you have to get up twice as early, be twice as good, and finish twice as fast in order to just be apart of the race.

7. The Mister Mr says:

I don’t believe whites are buying his music damn Butch Queen! Every race is critical not just Blacks. Honestly our problem is that we DIVIDE AND CONQUER each other!

8. Dubb-B(female type) says:

I just wish he would have given an example, b/c this is just too out of the blue for me. And @Vapariga. We are criticized snd beat down the most, so if we come off judgemental towards each other, or other races for that matter, it’s moreso a defense mechanism.

9. Heynow says:

He’s telling the truth! Best part about it though is that if sh&* hits the fan we are sticking together!

10. Miss AG says:

He just reiterated what many blacks have said. Ppl can be mad but I get it

11. kandi says:

As Dave said the Mexicans can have him.

12. Cityboy says:

Blacks are naturally “outspoken” people, which is a good thing!! Other races maybe a bit subtle but black folks will tell you as it is or speak their mind!! One reason I enjoy being around black folks. Miguel is 27 years old. Not very experienced in the things of this world. One doesn’t go on Twitter and release racist comments/statements!! Perhaps time will change his approach to certain volatile issues. Let’s ease up on the criticisms regarding this matter.

13. MrRLW says:

I could not agree more. It actually is kinda tripping me out, that so many people of color have taken offense to his comments. Yes, all races of individuals have people who pass judgment. But speaking as a black man, black people (generally speaking) are frighteningly judgmental of our own kind. If it’s something that’s the slightest bit different from whatever our “norm” is we have something negative to say about that thing. We classify it a certain way, without even having a clear understanding.

The bad thing about twitter and celebrities, is when they make statements like this out of the blue w/o giving their “followers” the proper context– then people begin to speculate. We’re all working off of assumption as to what triggered his rant. However if you take it at face value, I don’t see how you couldn’t agree.

14. Pierre says:

Hmmm, key fact;
    Until we learn there’s ‘No such thing as black or white ppl, only a human race…then we will always have racism, prejudice and be judgmental, true story!

15. whatnow says:

I feel as if this whole black or white or whatever is stupid. We define ourselves by a skin color before we judge eachother by our hearts,minds, or the education we have … This world is no longer minoritized. There’s a black president for crying out loud… Stop living in the past get up and get out. Were judged by the actions we do. If we did not run around twerking and making ourselves look like idiots we wouldn’t be judged as so