Jul

BET Formally Apologizes For Forcing Blogger To Change Feminine Clothing

bet apologizes to b scott-the jasmine brand

On Sunday, in the middle of the BET Awards, we announced that blogger B.Scott was allegedly asked to change his feminine clothing, in order to host as a style correspondent on the red carpet. The blogger recounted the story in detail, writing:

After interviewing AJ Calloway for my first segment I was literally yanked backstage and told that my look from head to toe “wasn’t acceptable.” They asked me to pull my hair back, they asked me to change my attire. Let’s be clear, I wasn’t wearing a ball gown and stiletto heels. I was wearing long pants, and a long shirt. I was returned to my trailer and forced to change into one of the other outfits while other producers waited outside. I changed quickly and returned to set, only to be told that I had been replaced by Adrienne Bailon and wouldn’t be going on at all. I was hurt. I am hurt. I feel as though at the last minute that someone at BET wasn’t comfortable with someone like me. It’s not just about the fact that BET forced me to pull my hair back, asked me to take off my makeup, made me changed my clothes and prevented me from wearing a heel. It’s more so that from the mentality and environment created by BET made me feel less than and that something was wrong with who I am as a person.

It appears that the network has had a change of heart. They have released the following statement:

BET Networks embraces global diversity in all its forms and seeks to maintain an inclusive workforce and a culture that values all perspectives and backgrounds. The incident with B. Scott was a singular one with a series of unfortunate miscommunications from both parties. We regret any unintentional offense to B. Scott and anyone within the LGBT community and we seek to continue embracing all gender expressions.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Should BET have apologized and is their apology sufficient? Or were they justified in having B.Scott change his attire?

bet-apologizes to bscott-feminine clothing-the jasmine brand

p5rn7vb

15 Comments to “BET Formally Apologizes For Forcing Blogger To Change Feminine Clothing”

1. Tazzy says:

First, BET shouldn’t have asked him to present knowing how he dresses. If that’s not how they wanted him to represent himself nor BET they should have gotten someone else. Another option is they could have given him a dress code beforehand and asked that he tone it down. He could have agreed or disagreed n the situation wouldn’t have gone any further. To make him change was wrong.
    SN: I am really tired of the gay/lesbian community pushing their agenda on everyone. Not everyone is going to agree with ur choices. They ave the right to do so. No, they beat, harass nor taunt u for being different, but everyone shouldn’t have to conform. My bible says love the sinner, hate the sin!

• vapariga says:

Totally agree w/Tazzy on this. Bottom line is they shouldn’t have hired him in the first place without having this discussion first and/or if they had a problem with who he is.

2. Tazzy says:

Yes, it’s called a dress code! If he was so upset n butthurt, he should have walked off n stood on his principles! Don’t conform, then rant! BET decided how they wanted him to represent them. He looked nice! His shoes were the business!
    End result…u took the check, don’t complain now!

3. RisingSpivey says:

“I am really tired of the gay/lesbian community pushing their agenda on everyone.” — I do agree!

• DIVA says:

I agree we DO NOT HAVE TO CONFORM to the gay/lesbian community. I am tired of them forcing they life style on us.

4. RisingSpivey says:

If BET hired me to appear to correspond at any of their events I would have worn whatever they wanted me to wear. Like any “employer” BET had every right to enforce their dress code. I discovered B Scott years ago. I am a fan of his. It’s unfortunate that he had to go through this. In the future, he should consider his audience. What is appropriate for his YouTube vlogs won’t be appropriate everywhere else.

5. The Mrs says:

If he felt so strong about his views he should have said no he wont change. he sold himself out all to host. Dont cry now.

• DIVA says:

I TOTALLY AGREE @ The Mrs. If he felt he was being done wrong WHY DO IT…he had the right to leave. So yes don’t cry now.

6. Chels says:

They know how B Scott is and they should have had that conversation with him before hand. IMO he was still a flaming queen LOL. And I really didnt think he did that good of a job but still, they knew who they asked to host. I agree with the LBGT community going in on everyone as well. But here is a thought that B Scott should consider…the Black Community is still VERY CONSERVATIVE. There are things we do not tolerate, accept OR discuss. We follow a strict set of “moral” rules that have no room to bend. And I really don’t see us changing. To be a gay black man in America is ROUGH. To be a femine/transgenderish black man in America is even worse. Not sure if that is going to change much.

7. Razzi says:

I dont read the statement from BET as an apology. It was more of a CYA for the network. Not once did they accept responsibility or apologize for their actions. They “regret” what happened but it doesnt seem like they are sorry for asking B. Scott to change.

Personally, i think his toned-down look was still cute. It was appropriate and didnt distract from the purpose of him being a correspondent. But, i still dont agree with BET’s decision, especially knowing full and well who B. Scott is before hand. I dont think Derek J or Miss Lawrence wouldve changed clothes for BET. B. Scott shouldve stood his ground and stood tall in his beliefs- period.

8. Dominique Morgan says:

I have no idea how this individual wearing what they choose to wear ios any kind of “agenda” at this point I more worried about my young nephews watching BET and screaming about Big Booty Hoes for their birthday than wearing a linen suit. B. Scott has been who B. Scott forever back when he was on Youtube laying in bed with Mariah Carey and more A List celebs. BET hired B. Scott to BE B. Scott. Thats like hiring Amanda Bines and expecting her not to call people ugly. They were wrong and they know it. It also goes deeper to sexuality and who you identify as. B. Scott is borderline Trans and that is even more unfair. In my opinion. But of course LGBT Rights are a side note to the Black community for some reason. Hence their young men will continue to hide who they are/love.

• M. says:

I wasn’t going to comment or reply but after reading I must. First the notion that b.scott conformed is ridiculous… he was employed by bet… which means he was there as an employee of bet ..not some random guest. Second, what dress code did he violate exactly? long sleeve shirt long pants… what crime did he/she commit? third and most disturbing is the notions and comments made that LGBT community forces anything on anyone is ridiculous. As evidence of this very blog/story. THEY BET and society pushes their agenda on US. BET didn’t change cloths. B.Scott was forced to change. And these ignorant comments are only proof of it. We don’t care if the black community accepts us.. we aren’t waiting for your approval.. nor the mainstream/conservative community.

9. M.Dot says:

It is what it is. BET Kudos to you!! like Tazzy said, the LGT whatever continues to push their beliefs where it is not wanted, keep it moving love muffin let the hurt go!

10. Happy Black Gay Male says:

THE NERVE! I SEE HOMOPHOBIC BLACKS CHICKS WILL CONTINUE TO BE JUST THAT! SO DAMN HOMOPHOBIC…TALK ABOUT SIN AND YOU’RE ON A GOSSIP BLOG? OH PLEASE! Ain’t nobody pushing a damn thing on you! How about you push these stupid young Black Men to get an education, and stop being criminals!

11. Page says:

The LGT community does bully too. If you do not agree with that lifestyle, this community does verbally attack. Now, I don’t believe a gay person should be bullied physically, emotionally, or verbally. With that being said, if you got someone who shows a person respect because they are simply a human being, you don’t have any right to attack me because I don’t believe in your lifestyle. It’s not fair for me to be bullied because I don’t accept homosexuality. You can’t stand against your community NOT being bullied and then bully those who believe what you don’t like. And Homophobic is being afraid of a homosexual, a person is not that term is they just aren’t afraid of the lifestyle they just don’t agree with it.