Jul

td jakes-mega fest-oprah-the jasmine brand

Saints, Aint(s) and a few sinners are gearing up from one of the biggest Christian conferences in the country. Each year, folk head down to Texas to join mega preacher Bishop T.D. Jakes’ annual ‘Mega Fest‘. In a recent interview, the 56-year-old chatted about add Oprah Winfrey to his line-up, what viewers can expect from his new BET talk show and how he handles criticism. Check out a few excerpts below.

On what inspired him to include Oprah Winfrey in ‘Mega Fest’:

Then, we’re thrilled to have Oprah, who has agreed to bring her “Lifeclass” to MegaFest. She and I are going to tackle a problem that is eating the underbelly of so many communities, and that is fatherlessness. The stats are alarming with fatherlessness, it’s escalating everywhere, and it is the impetus for which we’re having problems in the penal institution, in the educational institution with teenage pregnancies and so forth and so on. To be able to declare my narrative from such a huge platform is a great opportunity, and I was glad that she would yield it to me so that we could have this discussion with a wider array of people and accomplish what I’m really trying to do for our community.
On what viewers can expect from his new BET Talk Show, ‘Mind, Body & Soul’:
I have interviewed, in terms of celebrities, everybody from LL Cool J to Marvin Sapp, so there is going to be some spiritual elements to it as well, and I’m excited about that. But to be able to share and to learn and to ask questions… I did a one-on-one interview with Steve Harvey. I did a town hall meeting on gun violence and murder in Chicago. It’s going to be a lot of different discussions. I think that the one thing that they can expect from me, it will be uplifting, it will be entertaining and it will be intelligent.
On how he handles criticism:
If the critic says something that challenges my approach, then I ingest, digest and appropriate it. If I sense that the critic is just being critical or cynical or narrow minded, I disregard it. I focus on what I’ve been called to do. I feel like Nehemiah, that as a leader when you’re doing a great work you can’t come down. But if you’ve been misunderstood and you can give clarity, then do so and move on. Some people use the issue to attack you rather than to attack the issue that bothers them. They choose to attack an individual rather than an idea. The difference to me between constructive and destructive criticism is those people that attack the individual at the expense of their idea rather than to talk to the individual like “you’re my brother and I love you, but what do you think about this idea?” Speaking the truth in love is a dying art. Because people can be just as vicious as they want to be on social media and feel safe to let their true selves out, you have to develop a thick skin to that. I’ve learned to do that, I’m very comfortable with that, it doesn’t bother me at all. Everybody has critics. The bigger your platform, the more critics you’re going to have. More means more. You can’t have more of this and not have more of that. You’re going to have more of everything if you get into the realm of more.
[Christian Post]

26 Comments to “TD Jakes Explains Why He Invited Oprah to #MegaFest, New BET Talk Show + How He Handles Critics”

1. Miss AG says:

Thumbs up …….bring the positive

2. GUEST says:

Oprah said Jesus was one of many ways to God. Did she ever come out and say she was wrong? I will be boycotting Megafest this year, unless she does.

3. GUEST says:

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
    (Oprah said Jesus is one of many ways thus making Jesus a liar and as a Christian my loyalty is to Christ not Oprah or Jakes.

4. Bryan says:

I agree. I remember when Oprah made that statement. Sometimes I think she caters her statement toward her show guests, But God will not be mocked. Hopefully her eyes were opened to the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Galatians 6:7 (KJV)
    Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

BET is owned by Viacom who caters to numerous sinful ideas, but some use BET as a platform to express and idea. Jakes is using the life class to invite people who would not have come to church. How will we ever impact her thinking if we never invite her to the house to talk? Also are we not able to use her platform to speak the word of life to so many we wouldn’t have access to otherwise.

• maz says:

God does not need Oprah Winfrey to be on the platform…and that is not an appropriate place for her to be reached out to if that is the intention. It is going to lead many people to the gates of hell instead of into the very arms of God. She is a new age deceiver and has people on her network who are occultist and high priestesses in the occult. I am disgusted with the watering down of the truth and the gospel going on here….may God bring a reproach to all who are responsible for this outrageous deception. God help them!

• Shelly says:

True enough that God does not need Oprah on the platform, however let us remember that Jesus came for those who are sick – lost, and Oprah falls into this category. The Lord Loves Oprah, and desires that she repents and be saved. I must admit that I don’t like what I am seeing, but remember Jesus was a friend of sinners. Perhaps a seed will be planted and a soul won. We must prayerfully wait and see KNOWING that God is able to save Oprah and change her mind. Mega Fest may be that opportunity.

6. maz says:

I think what you are doing is disgusting…why don’t you invite Jesus instead of Oprah. She is is a deceiver not a believer and should not be a part of anything you do. How confusing and deceptive for believers and the outside world to see. Where in the bible does God tell us to come together with non Christians to try and fix the problems of the world. He says come out from among them and be ye separate for what fellowship hath light with darkness…you are doing a disservice to the fatherless as well…as they do not need an Oprah Winfrey to teach them any lessons about life. God is the only one who has the answer and she does not represent Jesus or His father at all.

7. I often wonder why the mention of Oprah stirs up such passion. God loves everyone even the deceived. What would Jesus do, he dined with Pharisees, prositutes and tax collectors. God is able to take care of His business. Who knows when God shows up at this or any other event what will happen? Trust the Lord, He is well able to handle Oprah!

• Seeking Holiness says:

What Maz quoted above is right. 2 Cor 6:14 what fellowship hath light with darkness? Period. Oprah has denied Christ as the ONLY way to the Father. If Jakes, Osteen, and these other “spiritual leaders” join forces with her the result is confusion and deception. People will start to think good is evil and evil is good (which unfortunately they already do). the other problem is that people do not know the Word of God to be able to judge righteously between evil and good.

Osteen, Jakes, and Oprah = mass deception and confusion. All we need is JESUS and the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives to heal fatherlessness. TEACH US THAT!! Teach us how we can get more of the Holy Spirit. Let us seek His face so that we can know what to do. Oprah is not going to help do that. That is why this is a mistake.

• Audz says:

You are totally correct. Jesus may have eaten with the sinners but he didn’t invite them to co-present His Sermon on the Mount.

8. jan says:

I felt like the others but after giving it more thought, I ended up where Gladys is. Let’s all take a step back. Let go and let God.

• Heaven bound says:

Indeed while a new age witch misleads many to hell. Don’t you know mega-fest is a spiritual gathering? What spirit is Oprah coming with???

• Seeking Holiness says:

No! We must speak up and stand for the TRUTH! We cannot sit back and “let God”!

9. The problem is that we will not know weather this is a good thing or a bad thing until we have seen it. I have prayed for Oprah to be born again like the word says the only way to the father is through the son. If you beleive in your heart and confess with you mouth that Jesus is Lord you will be saved. Lets pray this happens to Oprah.

10. Tammy says:

No one knows the true intentions of the heart except the Lord! It is between the Lord and Oprah.. no matter What we think if she confessed then she is saved.

11. favour says:

well , one think i know , that in the bible , what their purpose is good if it to attract people’s , but if their relay on oprah to attrack people’s that’s wrong , the bible said exalted JESUS and HE will draw people’s toward HIM , we not need oprah to attract people’s , what we need is JESUS CHRIST to attrack people’s this is GOD ministry, do it with GOD way not our way

12. favour says:

well , one thing i know , that in the bible , what their purpose is good if it to attract people’s , but if their relay on oprah to attrack people’s that’s wrong , the bible said exalted JESUS and HE will draw people’s toward HIM , we not need oprah to attract people’s , what we need is JESUS CHRIST to attrack people’s this is GOD ministry, do it with GOD way not man way

• DMC says:

There are a lot of people who wouldn’t ordinarily listen to T.D. Jakes, much less any other minister of the Gospel. This is a wonderful platform God is using to reach those people. If God can speak using the platform of a burning bush and a donkey, He can certainly speak through this platform! Have Your way, Oh Lord! We Thank You for Your Loving Kindness!

• Audz says:

Depends what Bishop Jakes is saying. If he is spouting New Age philosophy with no mention of our Lord and Saviour, then they are better off not hearing him.

13. mp says:

we should pray for pastors…we don’t know what God is doing through them… he use many ways to win souls..we have all sin in some way…one without sin throw the first stone…we all have sin and come short to God’s glory…again let’s pray and be careful not to judge less we be judged..let God judge God uses who ever he please to get a job done…we don’t know all the ways of God..he works in different ways.

14. GODZDNA says:

Jesus may have hung out once with unbelievers, but he never hung out with them again.