Jun
2014

Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 12.33.21 PM

This week, we reported Lifetime’s plans to produce a biopic of the legendary singer and actress Aaliyah with Disney’s Zendaya Coleman playing the posthumous star. Tentatively entitled “Aaliyah: Princess of R&B”, the film is based on the bestseller “Aaliyah: More Than a Woman” by former Time magazine music editor Christopher Farley.

aaliyah family upset at lifetime movie asks fans to support zendaya the jasmine brand

Today (June 20th), the family’s PR team sent us an exclusive statement. They say that they had no input on the project. According to Jomo Hankerson, cousin and president of her label, Blackground Records, no one from the cable network reached out to the family regarding the biopic.  As they reserve the rights to the music and likeness of the singer, relatives see it fit that those closest to Aaliyah contribute to the biopic to ensure that her story is told well and accurately.  Furthermore, the family feels that Aaliyah’s story is worthy of a major motion picture release.

timbo-missy elliott-aaliyah-the jasmine brand

Hankerson released this statement:

Pages: 1 2

12 Comments to “Aaliyah’s Family Releases Statement About Lifetime Movie: Big Networks Are Exploiting Her For A Buck!”

1. A. Nowells says:

She was so BEAUTIFUL inside & out. I agree with the family – a Lifetime movie is a slap in the face for a Legend. Their request should be Respected!

2. kim says:

I think a lifetime movie is adequate for her.I do t mean any harm but Aaliyah was “our”star.She was not an international star.Frankly,I didn’t know that her life had the content for a movie

• nellz says:

I said the same thing the other day shady old lifetime. They are using and abusing our near and dear stars as soon as. @kim aka Felicia do some research I dont have the patience to type out her accomplishments however a lifetime movie just won’t cut it. Scrap this whole idea and do a biopic on their crotch.

• kim says:

My Dear,I was in my prime during Aaliyahs reign.I know all about her attending an Performaning Arts school.Her involvement in stage plays as a wee girl.I know a plenty and loved Aaliyah.But,she was a star to “us”.She was our urban legend.Her star was on the rise.She had not gained her full potential.So,for me a lifetime movie will do.That’s my opinion .And that opinion is definitely not because I’m not schooled about her.

• Lett says:

For those who say that Aaliyah’s career was too big for a television movie, what about TLC? What about Selena? They were both even bigger than Aaliyah and their biopic was (just) on t.v.? There are only a handful of celebrities that warrant a feature film and that is MJ, Elvis, Beyonce, Whitney and maybe Mariah. Aaliyah had national stardom, not international. She sold 3 albums before her 2001 death. Grant it, those albums sold 32 million copies, but she wasn’t a household name, like these others I mentioned.

3. kim says:

Oh,I guess I should mention her musical accomplishments as well as her movie roles.

4. […] an exclusive statement obtained by The Jasmine Brand, Jomo Hankerson, who is Aaliyah’s cousin and head of her record label Blackground Records had […]

5. Jip skip kip says:

Zendaya looks nothing like Aaliyah. The need to stop this!!!!!

6. […] an exclusive statement obtained by The Jasmine Brand, Jomo Hankerson, who is Aaliyah’s cousin and head of her record label Blackground Records had […]