Jonathan Majors’ Sentencing Delayed As His Lawyers Ask Judge To Vacate Conviction
Jonathan Majors‘ sentencing hearing has been postponed. The Creed III actor, who was found guilty of harassment and assault in December, was set to be sentenced on Tuesday. However, the judge pushed it back to April 8 as the star’s legal team filed potential hail-mary motions, including one that would vacate his conviction for reckless assault in the 3rd degree and harassment. (He was acquitted on another charge of assault and one of aggravated harassment.)
Per TMZ, Jonathan Majors’ attorneys claim that prosecutors didn’t provide enough evidence during the trial and that the “reckless” claim doesn’t hold up since prosecutors alleged the assault was intentional. The judge is scheduled to rule on the motion and Jonathan Majors‘ sentencing in two months.
theJasmineBRAND reached out to Majors‘ attorney, Priya Chaudhry, for comment.
Majors was first arrested in March 2023 after an explosive altercation with his then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari in the back of an SUV. Majors vehemently denied all of the accusations against him and maintained his innocence throughout the trial.
His legal team’s move comes after he expressed shock over the conviction during an interview with ABC News.
Sharing his reaction with anchor Linsey Davis last month, Majors said,
“I’m standing there and the verdict comes down, I say, ‘How is that possible?’ Based off the evidence — based off the prosecution’s evidence, let alone our evidence — how is that possible?”
He also denied Jabbari‘s account of the incident and told Davis,
“That did not happen.”
As for how Jabbari was injured, Majors alleged,
“I wish to God I knew. That would give clarity, that would give me some type of peace about it.”
“I shouldn’t have been in the car. I shouldn’t have stepped out of the relationship. I shouldn’t have been in the relationship. If I’m not in the car, none of this is happening. If I leave the relationship, none of this is happening. If I’m man enough or brave enough to say, ‘I want to see someone else’ or ‘I’m done now,’ I’m not in that car. We’re not here. I’m responsible for those things.”
Jonathan Majors is speaking out for the first time since his conviction in a domestic violence trial in an interview with ABC News: pic.twitter.com/bYpwZ4qbfq
— philip lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) January 8, 2024