Post Ray Rice Incident, NFL Announces Tougher Penalties for Players Accused of Domestic Violence
My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will.
The commissioner told teams to distribute his memo to all players and to post it in locker rooms. It reads in part: “Domestic violence and sexual assault are wrong. They are illegal. They are never acceptable and have no place in the NFL under any circumstances.”
Rice’s suspension begins Saturday.
An initial domestic violence offense will draw a six-week ban without pay, although the memo says “more severe discipline will be imposed if there are aggravating circumstances such as the presence or use of a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child.”
A second offense will result in banishment from the league, but a player will be allowed to petition for reinstatement after a year.
Follow me: @theJasmineBRAND on Twitter | theJasmineBRAND on Facebook | theJasmineBRAND on Instagram
Previous Article
Next Article
Florida Police Officer Accused Of Using Flock Cameras To Keep Tabs On His Estranged Wife More Than 700 Times
Jasmine Brand Brings 30 DC-Area Women Together For Intimate ‘CONNECT’ Brunch, Plans Multi-City Expansion
Woman Claims GLP-1 Weight Loss Drugs Caused Her To Lose Her Eyesight, Wants Warning Added To Labels
[Update] Atlanta Sisters Found Safe After Babysitter Allegedly Abducted Them-Mother Believes Woman Had Been ‘Plotting’ To Steal Her Kids
NAACP Joins Legal Team Representing Family Of Nolan Wells
Amber Alert Issued: Atlanta Police Say Babysitter Abducted Two Young Sisters
Condolences: Cambridge University’s Youngest Black Professor, Jason Arday, Found De@d At 41, Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Controversy
[UPDATE] Pageant Queen Says She’s Not At All’ Sorry After Losing Miss North Carolina USA Crown Over N-Word Use: ‘It’s Your First Amendment Right To Express Yourself
Much better