Prince Thought He Was Taking Vicodin, Not Fentanyl
According to a Minnesota prosecutor, Prince thought he was taking a painkiller called Vicodin, but instead he ingested a counterfeit pill containing the dangerously powerful drug Fentanyl. As a result, it was announced that no charges would be filed in the musician’s death. Reportedly, Carver County Attorney Mark Metz also said there’s no evidence any of the people surrounding Prince gave him counterfeit Vicodin or knew he had it. The state’s investigation into how Prince got the fentanyl that killed him is closed.
Reportedly, Prince had suffered from pain for years and was addicted to pain medication. While some of speculated that those around him might have enabled his drug habit and tried to protect his privacy, authorities found,
No direct evidence that a specific person provided the fentanyl. In all likelihood, Prince had no idea that he was taking a counterfeit pill that could kill him.