Cam Newton Says “They Gave Up On Me” Amidst Reports Carolina Panthers Released Him [VIDEO]
This week, the Carolina Panthers Cam Newton.on their long-term relationship with former starting quarterback,
As previously reported, after their ninth season together, the 30-year-old quarterback is making his thoughts felt as he searches for a new NFL home.
On Thursday (March 27th), Newton shared a series of his personal home workout moments, as he reflects on the monumental decision of being released by the organization that drafted him back in 2011.
During his workout session, Newton can be seen seemingly addressing his reported departure from the Panthers. The former NFL MVP says in the clip,
“All I know is work. That’s all I know. They gave up on me.”
Newton’s departure from the Panthers comes just over three months after going under the knife to repair a lisfranc injury on his left foot back in December.
As previously reported, the Panthers didn’t waste time finding Newton’s replacement reportedly striking a three-year deal with free agent quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater. In addition, the Panthers were in negotiations to trade Newton to the Bears and Chargers before deciding to release Newton this week.
Panthers owner and General Manager, David Tepper released a statement and seemingly cemented the fact that he’s been released.
“Cam is one of the all-time greats in Panther history. If you ask any of our fan for some of their most memorable moment, I’m willing to bet that most of them would include Cam.”
He ends his statement on Newton’s impact,
“He has touched the lives of youth throughout the Carolinas and in Atlanta. He’s unique and I wish him all the best.”
Newton led the Panthers to three straight NFC South titles from 2013-15, and a Super Bowl appearance during the 2015 season. The team will reportedly save $19.1 million in cap space for 2020 with the release of Newton.
What are your thoughts on Cam Newton’s departure from the Panthers? Let us know in the comments!