Ice Cube Says ‘Blasphemy’ As He Reacts To Claims of Druski, Vince Staples Starring in Alleged “Friday” Film Prequel
Ice Cube has something to say!
The legendary actor and rapper replied to a tweet on Monday, March 21, that claimed there was a “Friday” prequel in the works at HBO Max featuring comedian Druski and rapper Vince Staples. Ice Cube said,
“This is blasphemy.”
Even though the prequel rumors appear to be unfounded, it’s not surprising that Ice Cube would want to address them, as there have been issues in the past with the beloved “Friday” franchise. As previously reported, Warner Brothers has been slammed by Ice Cube for allegedly refusing to release additional sequels, including the fourth film in the franchise, which is said to be titled Last Friday.
In 2021, Ice Cube also took to Instagram and shared an illustration of the original cast of the film, using the hashtag #FreeFriday. He said,
“#freefriday from the jaws of Warner Bros. who refuses to make more sequels. They have hi-jacked the happiness of the culture.”
The script for the fourth and final film has reportedly been completed since 2019, but Warner Brothers owns the rights and apparently isn’t interested in making more sequels—at least not for the time being.
The original “Friday” was released in 1995, becoming an instant classic. The stoner comedy film is set in South Central Los Angeles, where Craig Jones (Ice Cube) and his best friend Smokey (Chris Tucker), along with his family, get caught up in a variety of issues involving the neighborhood drug dealer. It was succeeded by Next Friday in 2000 and Friday After Next in 2002.
Prequels are stories or films that deal with events that precede those of an existing work, so it seems likely that the alleged film featuring Druski and Vince Staples would recap what drove Craig and Smokey to such a tumultuous start to the weekend.
Would you be interested in watching a Friday prequel? Let us know in the comments!