Tory Lanez Requests To Be Placed On Probation & Enrolled In Substance Abuse Program Instead Of Serving 13-Year Prison Sentence Prosecutors Are Seeking Over Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
Attorneys for Tory Lanez continue to advocate for his release.
According to legal affairs journalist Meghann Cuniff, today (Aug. 2) Tory Lanez’s legal team filed a memorandum in Los Angeles Superior Court ahead of his sentencing, which is scheduled for Monday (Aug. 7). Reportedly, they want the Canadian native to be released from jail on probation and enrolled in a substance abuse program. You may recall that in Dec. he was convicted on three felony charges for shooting Megan Thee Stallion.
Meghann Cuniff revealed on X (formerly known as Twiter),
“I have Tory Lanez’s sentencing memo for shooting Megan Thee Stallion. It asks that he be released from jail to probation and a substance abuse program.”
In a follow-up post, she added,
“Lanez DOES NOT admit guilt: He says he’s innocent and the case has too many problems for his “lack of remorse” to be considered.”
As previously reported, Tory Lanez was ultimately convicted of assault with a semiautomatic handgun, having a loaded and unregistered firearm in a vehicle, and gross negligence in discharging his firearm. He’s reportedly facing over 20 years in prison. Despite the singer/rapper maintaining his innocence (and his lawyers’ attempt at him receiving a slap on the wrist), prosecutors want Tory to remain behind bars for a while.
Prosecutors submitted their sentencing memo almost two months ago, requesting that Tory serve 13 years in prison for his actions. The legal document said that Tory orchestrated a “campaign of misinformation” aimed at humiliating and “re-traumatizing” Megan.
The document stated,
“Words have power and the pen is oftentimes mightier than the sword. In this case, Daystar Peterson used both. Not content to have hurt the victim by use of his sword (gun), he also used his pen. His online posts for nearly three years have re-traumatized the victim.”
“His online reach is worldwide (millions of followers plus casual observers) and the defendant’s statements embolden his followers so that they too have been complicit in re-traumatizing the victim.”
“He is responsible for the effect of his words and his actions.”
Prosecutors want Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David Herriford to sentence Tory to six years for first-degree assault with a firearm, four years for the firearm aggravator, and three additional years for bodily harm. However, sentences for the two firearm convictions would reportedly run concurrently.
Tory’s sentencing has been pushed back multiple times, but, if everything (finally) goes according to plan, the world will soon know his fate.
What are your thoughts on this entire situation? Tell us in the comments below!