Jun

basketball wives-shaunie onel-tami roman-evelyn lozada-Upscale magazine-July2013cover-the jasmine brand

Gearing up for season number five, Basketball Wives’ Shaunie O’Neal, Evelyn Lozada and Tami Roman have snagged the latest issue of ‘Upscale’. If you’ve followed the show, you’re quite aware that their most recent, was one of their more controversial seasons. So controversial, that the conflict and a few physical scuffles, caused a few petitions and advertisers to call it quits with the popular VH1 show. In their cover story, the women come clean about how they handled losing advertisers and how it affected them personally. They also give viewers a few hints about why Jennifer Williams and Royce Reed got pink slips. Peep a few excepts below.

On the negativity and the consequential loss of advertisers:

[It] was so difficult to deal with when it was airing and when it was all over with. I remember saying, ‘what the hell just happened?

This isn’t us; we’re mothers, we’re businesswomen. We have to be smarter. We have to represent ourselves a lot better.—Shaunie O’Neal

People were connecting my behavior on the show with the incident with Chad. They were like, ‘Well if she acts like that on the show, then I’m sure she acts like that at home.’ I’m a totally different person at home. —Eveyln Lozada

I was very depressed last summer. I was dealing with some things that were going on with my mother and everything that was happening with the backlash from the show. I started eating everything under the sun. I blew up to about 190-ish pounds. I’m a tall girl, so I wear it well, but I was bordering between [size] 14 and 16 in my clothes.—Tami Roman

By the time we did the [season four] reunion we all agreed enough is enough. We had a group talk and were all definitely on the same page. We heard the messages loud and clear. We knew we had to do better. It was an eye opener. —Shaunie O’Neal

On the decision to cut Jennifer Williams and Royce Reed from the series:

It was a chemistry thing. It just became awkward to film or even come up with a conversation. It just wasn’t working for TV.
—Shaunie O’Neal

Royce has been a non-motherf—ing factor for the last two seasons, so it just didn’t make sense anymore. And as for Jennifer—Shaunie is [being] nice but I’m going to tell you this—we don’t condone the incident with Jennifer, but we do . You know something’s bound to happen when you put a bunch of women together and there’s a lot of conversation and going on. So when Jennifer went on this whole anti-show campaign, it was a little tough for us as .
—Evelyn Lozada

What are your thoughts on next season? Will the cast be able to retain ratings without Jennifer and Royce? And will folk tune in without less drama between cast members?

[LipStick Alley]

zv7qrnb

15 Comments to “Shaunie O’Neal & Evelyn Lozada Explain Why Two CastMates Got ‘Basketball Wives’ Pink Slips”

1. UMMM Shaunie never wanted to work it out with Royce. Royce said she tried to reach out to Shaunie and she didn’t take her calls. I won’t be watching this show.

2. DIVA says:

I will be watching. Interested to see how they will be acting this season. I think life is about growth and maturity and maybe that is what they have done. It sounds like they watched themselves on TV and didnt like what they where seeing and it made them change. Good for them.

3. vapariga says:

I don’t know if I’ll be watching this time around or not. I do think the ratings will survive without Jennifer and Royce! I thought both of them came off as aloof & kind of a bore. As for the other ladies, they have more personality and a lot more to work with. I am pulling for them! I hope that the show comes off with more class and showcases them in a better light, as great Moms and business women/actresses or what ever else they do. I’m sure they can still bring it without all the cattiness and fighting.

4. Gabriella says:

This show has run its course. It was a good run now its over.

5. Kay says:

Them top three were shady and basically if you weren’t in their click you got the pink slip! Show people you really matured by being peaceful with people who don’t kiss your butt. Yeah it will be real easy this season if you ONLY surround yourself with Shaunie’s groupies!

• JayL says:

I so agree! Funny how some say they have “matured” with Ev still sounding like a project rat by calling Royce a NMFF for the past two seasons! SMH. I do remember Royce also saying that Shaunie refused to film with her, thus to me slowly pushing her out. This show should now be called Shaunie’s groupies.

I totally agree with you Kay- they all think alike and kiss each other’s butts, so of course it will easier. But even with last season cast members who were much more mild, THEY STILL found a reason to show their as@. I will NOT watch, bc just by the captions above aint nothin changed!
    1) Tami- the true thug and violent ratchet one of the group talked about her gaining weight and about HER being depressed. Not ONCE in that quote does she talk about how Kiesha was affected or her daughter. #stillselfish
    2) Evelyn still hasn’t changed bc the second you mention Royce, she starts by cursing and deaming that girl. AND YES people see you act like an animal on camera so there is no way we could assume you shut it off at home??? Evelyn needs to move in with Ilyana if she ever wants to change.
    3) Shaunie still playing that “i’m talking but not really talking about ish” role. I find it disheartening that the only thing that caused them to examine their behavior were their rating and dropped advertisers??? Is that growth? or are you just concerned with the bottom line=dollar?
    AND instead of saying “this isn’t us” be women and own your immature ugly ways. It is you- because it was your action. Instead say, it’s a part of us that we want to work on showing less of.
    Disgusted by this already, and I haven’t even seen the trailer!
    P.S.- Jennifer and Royce were the only consistent 2 that added class and non-violence to the show anyway. So removing them shows you what type of show they really want to have.

• DivineBrown says:

ROTFFF!!! Now that was hilarity. Ev will have to set up camp permanently in Iyanla’s living room. They are all the same. Shaunie removes everyone that her and her legion of minions don’t get along with. ALWAYS!!! It would appear that kissing the posterior of Ms. Oneil is a good move professionally.

7. cici says:

…this show has really ran it’s course and it sunk….i won’t be watching this trash.

• Anonymous says:

will not be watching. cannot cannot believe these women are raising children. Shaunie you are so fake it’s sad. Evelyn, you do believe this way at home. This is how you behave in your life. Your marriage broke up because karma is a bitch!!!

Correction>> Evelyn, you DO BEHAVE this way at home. Again, my 25 yr old daughter and I will not be watching. Show has become trash TV.

9. The Mrs says:

ok so the two main people who were fighting are still on the show. What sense does that make

10. CM says:

M&M you hit the nail on the head…how old are these girls. The main ones that made the show look bad are still there. Will not be watching…