‘Bad Boys 4’ Was Never Halted After Will Smith’s Oscar Smack, Sony’s Chairman Says: That Movie’s Been In Development And Still Is
Will Smith’s viral Oscars moment didn’t stop all of his movie checks from coming in.
As previously reported, a number of the award winning actor’s film projects were reportedly paused, after Will Smith stormed the Oscars stage and smacked the host, comedian Chris Rock. Of these projects, was the fourth installment to the Bad Boys franchise, which is produced by Sony Entertainment and stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. Following box office success of the franchise’s third film, Bad Boys For Life, Sony announced it greenlit a fourth movie.
However, Sony’s chairman recently confirmed the project was never paused and says its still in development. According to reports, chairman Tom Rothman was asked about speculations that the next Bad Boys film had been halted indefinitely. In response, Tom stated:
“That was inaccurate….That movie’s been in development and still is,”
“There weren’t any brakes to pump because the car wasn’t moving.”
Will Smith shocked viewers around the nation back in March, after he hit his fellow actor Chris Rock on live TV. The smack was the result of a Jada Pinkett Smith, G.I. Jane comparison, where Chris joked about the actresses bald head.
Will Smith just punched Chris Rock and told him "keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth" pic.twitter.com/YK5aQqv89t
— BACKUP ACCOUNT (@JasmineBrandTHE) March 28, 2022
In an apology note, the King Richard star reasoned that his wife’s pain due to her ongoing struggle with alopecia caused his violent outburst of emotion. After winning his first Oscar for best actor, Will received a 10 year ban as a result of the hit.
Tom also gave his two cents on the Oscars incident, stating:
“That was a very unfortunate thing that happened, and I don’t think it’s really my place to comment, except to say that I’ve known Will Smith for many years, and I know him to be a good person,”
“That was an example of a very good person having a very bad moment, in front of the world. I believe his apology and regret is genuine, and I believe in forgiveness and redemption.”
According to reports, other projects The Fresh Prince actor was slated to star in have been paused, including two Netflix movies Fast & Loose and Bright 2. Additionally, reports say that Will’s series with Apple+TV Emancipation also had its release date pushed back. There have been no updates about the status of those projects at this time.
Are you excited about the Bad Boys 4 film? Tell us in the comments section!