Megan Thee Stallion Breaks Silence On Tory Lanez’s Guilty Verdict: ‘I Overcame The Public Humiliation Of Having My Name & Reputation Dragged Through The Mud By That Individual For The Entire World To See’
Megan Thee Stallion is addressing her feelings about Tory Lanez’s guilty verdict for the first and last time.
In a new essay for Elle Magazine, Megan Thee Stallion — real name Megan Pete — expressed that she would like to be identified as a survivor, rather than a victim. As you may know, the Houston rapper was shot almost three years ago by now-incarcerated rapper Tory Lanez.
Megan Thee Stallion detailed why “survivor” bests fits her description:
“Not only did I survive being shot by someone I trusted and considered a close friend, but I overcame the public humiliation of having my name and reputation dragged through the mud by that individual for the entire world to see.”
According to the 28-year-old rap star, she initially planned to handle the shooting incident privately, but that went out the window once Tory Lanez went public with his side of things. Megan said when she finally revealed the truth about who harmed her, she was “drained” by the false narrative created by her abuser.
“By the time I identified my attacker, I was completely drained. Many thought I was inexplicably healed because I was still smiling through the pain, still posting on social media, still performing, still dancing, and still releasing music.”
The Hottie shared that she fell into a depression so bad she reconsidered continuing her music career.
“The truth is that I started falling into a depression. I didn’t feel like making music. I was in such a low place that I didn’t even know what I wanted to rap about. I wondered if people even cared anymore. There would be times that I’d literally be backstage or in my hotel, crying my eyes out, and then I’d have to pull Megan Pete together and be Megan Thee Stallion.”
Thankfully, when Tory Lanez was given a guilty verdict for his actions Megan was able to find the light in a dark situation. She said:
“When the guilty verdict came on Dec. 23, 2022, it was more than just vindication for me, it was a victory for every woman who has ever been shamed, dismissed, and blamed for a violent crime committed against them.”
The “Savage” artist then addressed other victims who have survived violence and let them that she is rooting for them.
“For anyone who has survived violence, please know your feelings are valid. You matter. You are not at fault. You are important. You are loved. You are not defined by your trauma. You can continue to write beautiful, new chapters to your life story. Just because you are in a bad situation doesn’t mean you are a bad person. Our value doesn’t come from the opinions of other people. As long as you stand your ground and live in your truth, nobody can take your power.”
With the Tory Lanez incident seemingly behind her, Megan touched on what’s next:
“I was once told that you can’t have crucifixion without resurrection, and that statement resonated so deeply with me. This is a rebirth of a happier and healthier me. I’m a survivor and I have—and will continue—to embrace the highs and lows of my journey. I’m excited to get back into music, because I have been so transformed. I’m playing around with new songs and new sounds that I can’t wait for everyone to hear.”
During her essay, she also clarified that she’d done talking about the shooting incident:
“I understand the public intrigue, but for the sake of my mental health, I don’t plan to keep reliving the most traumatic experience of my life over and over again. I’m choosing to change the narrative because I’m more than just my trauma.”
As previously reported, last Dec. a jury found Tory Lanez — real name Daystar Peterson — guilty of three felonies — assault with a semiautomatic firearm, vehicle possession of a loaded, unregistered firearm, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence — for shooting Megan in the feet back in 2020. The 30-year-old’s sentencing is on standby as he fights for a new trial. However, if unsuccessful in his appeal, the entertainer is facing up to 22 years behind bars and possible deportation.
What are your thoughts on Megan Thee Stallion’s update since Tory Lanez’s guilty verdict? Tell us below.