Update: Donald Trump Ordered By Judge To Stop Playing Isaac Hayes’ ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ At Rallies

Update: Donald Trump Ordered By Judge To Stop Playing Isaac Hayes’ ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ At Rallies
Update #2 (Sept. 3, 2024): Isaac Hayes’ estate has won a victory in its ongoing legal battle against Donald Trump.
As previously reported, the estate of late singer Isaac Hayes took legal action against Donald Trump’s campaign for using the song “Hold On, I’m Coming” without permission at rallies and for commercials.
A federal judge ruled on the emergency injunction today, determining that Trump’s campaign must stop using the tune at events while the family of one of the record’s co-writers pursues a lawsuit over the 2-time presidential hopeful’s use of the song.
However, the judge also ruled that Trump won’t have to remove any published material that already features the song.
An attorney for Trump spoke on the ruling with reporters and said:
“The campaign has no interest in annoying or hurting anyone, and if the Hayes family feels that it hurts or annoys them, that’s fine, we’re not going to force the issue.”
Update #1 (Aug. 21, 2024): Isaac Hayes’ estate has officially filed a lawsuit against Donald Trump’s campaign for using the late singer’s song “Hold On, I’m Coming” at campaign events and in commercials without permission.
The complaint, which also names the Republican National Committee and conservative group Turning Point USA, was filed in the Georgia federal court recently, according to multiple reports.
The estate is suing for $3 million in licensing fees, an amount it says is
“a very discounted fee for the normal license fee associated with this many multiple uses. The normal fee for these infringements will be 10 times as much if we litigate, starting at $150,000 per use.”
The estate also wants the defendants to issue a message that it never
“authorized, endorsed, or permitted use of the Isaac Hayes Enterprises’ property at any point, now or in perpetuity throughout the universe.”
Original (Aug. 12, 2024): Isaac Hayes’ family is taking a stand against Donald Trump’s presidential campaign over the repeated, unauthorized use of his song, Hold On, I’m Coming.
The estate of the late musician, who co-wrote the song with David Porter and recorded by Sam & Dave in 1966, has issued a formal threat of legal action demanding $3 million.

Isaac Hayes
This follows a series of reported breaches by Donald Trump’s campaign, which Isaac Hayes’ family claims have occurred more than a hundred times at rallies from 2022 to 2024.
In a tweet from the official Isaac Hayes account, the estate declared:
“We the family of @isaachayes Isaac Hayes Enterprises, represented by Walker & Associates, are suing @realDonaldTrump and his campaign for 134 counts of copyright infringement for the unauthorized use of the song ‘Hold On I’m Coming’ at campaign rallies from 2022-2024.”

The Notice of Copyright Infringement details the family’s legal stance, stating:
“We will take all legal action required to enforce the infringed-upon intellectual property rights, including but not limited to sending third-party take-down requests and/or federal litigation. If we are forced to file a federal lawsuit due to your continued intentional and unlawful actions, we will seek disgorgement of all profits earned from the unauthorized use, the maximum statutory damages available (as high as $150,000 per use for willful copyright infringement), and the recovery of all related attorney’s fees and costs.”

Isaac Hayes III, the son of the late artist who passed away in 2008, expressed frustration over the weekend, saying:
“Today, on the anniversary of my father @isaachayes death, we have repeatedly asked Donald Trump, the RNC, and his representatives not to use ‘Hold On I’m Coming’ written by Isaac Hayes and David Porter during campaign rallies. Yet again, in Montana, they used it. Donald Trump represents the worst in integrity and class with his disrespect and sexual abuse of women and racist rhetoric. We will now deal with this very swiftly.”

This isn’t the first time the Hayes estate has confronted Trump over the use of his music. Back in November 2022, the estate warned that legal action was imminent if the unauthorized use did not cease. At that time, the estate tweeted:
“Once again, The estate and family of Isaac Hayes DID NOT approve the use of ‘Hold On I’m Coming’ by Sam and Dave by Donald Trump at his 2024 Presidential announcement tonight. We are exploring multiple legal options to stop this unauthorized use.”
The latest legal demand sets a deadline of August 16 for the campaign to cease using the song and comply with the estate’s demands.
Share your thoughts below!
[VIA]
Previous Article
Next Article
Tank & Durand Bernarr Take Their ‘Beef To FaceTime & End It w/ Laughs: ‘It’s Never That Serious’
Saweetie Hit w/ $3 Million Lawsuit After Promoter Claims She Took Japan Concert Deposit & Performed Elsewhere
Angelina Jolie & Brad Pit’s Daughter Zahara Jolie Graduates From Spelman College
Funk Legend & “Atomic Dog” Artist George Clinton Sues Universal Music Group Over Alleged Royalty Freeze
[UPDATE] Paris Jackson Heading Back To Court With Dad Michael Jackson’s Estate Following Six-Figure Win, Seeking Additional $463K
Florida Rapper 1900Rugrat Accuses Drake Of Stealing Beat For “Iceman” Track
Usher Pushes Forward w/ $700K Lawsuit Naming Bryan-Michael Cox Despite Producer Claiming Their 27-Year Friendship Was ‘Fully Intact’
Megan Thee Stallion Is In The Studio – Is New Music In The Way?