Feb

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.53.01 PM

It appears that Real ¬†Housewives of Atlanta’s Kandi Burruss is catching a bit of spiritual heat, for trying her hand at Gospel music. On a recent RHOA episode, the 36-year-old singer/producer gave fans her diverse musical capabilities by showing her recording a gospel song, ‘Stay Prayed Up’. After the episode aired, Kandi wrote a message explaining why she decided to try non-secular music and gave a bit of background on just how well she knows Jesus (my words, not hers). She wrote:

On this episode of #RHOA you see part of the gospel song I was working on. I knew when I decided to do it that I would be criticized. That’s to be expected. I’m a single mom that had a child out of wedlock, I speak openly about sex on #KandiKoatedNights, I have #BedroomKandi, etc… I’m very honest about who I am. My great grand father & my grandfather were Bishops in The Church of God Holiness. I believe in God but I have always struggled with the rules of the church, just like a lot of people. The song “Stay Prayed Up” is like a testimony for me. Hopefully people with a similar struggle can relate. I’m posting the lyrics to the hook. I’m looking forward to you hearing the whole song next week!

All week, fans and critics have tweeted Kandi, chiming in on whether they agree with her going gospel. She responded to a few twitter followers, clarifying her intentions:

I’m not doing a gospel album. Its a single. I look forward to hearing your opinion after you hear it…no mixed signals. The song clearly states that I’m a sinner. Relates 2 people who believe n God but they’re not perfect christians…the song is my testimony of what I’ve been thru & how I deal with things. I think a lot of people will relate.

And here are the lyrics to the song, which is scheduled to drop on iTunes this weekend:

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 1.30.51 PM

What are your thoughts on Kandi’s gospel tunes? Are the fact that she has a sex toy business and is co-habitating too contradictory to sing gospel music? Or is her lifestyle a testament to the fact that no one lives a perfect life and no artist should be limited based on their sins (per se)?¬†

9 Comments to “RHOA’s Kandi Burruss Defends Trying Her Hand At Gospel Music, ‘Yeah, I’m A Sinner…That’s No Lie’”

1. kay p says:

its a single about her praying – i wouldn’t call it “gospel” she ain’t raising a praise or spreading the good news – just saying she a sinner who prays but can’t follow the rules….whatever.

2. Miss AG says:

I don’t see the prob…how is it diff from some of these critics that sin and curse like a sailor all week but in the front row every Sunday speaking in tongues doing the praise dance. Sinners are the ones criticizing too.

3. april says:

Sing a prayed up song, and later sell a dildo, smh.

4. melissa z says:

Kandi is an honest human being, who is open about having a sexual side and being a mother who had a child out of wedlock. This does not take away from her spirituality or her relationship with God. I love Gospel music, it makes you feel good and close to God. (Just like sex).

• whompwhomp says:

I love Gospel music, it makes you feel good and close to God. (Just like sex). <<<< wow did you really just say that lol get ur life

• Anonymous says:

You do have to follow his commandments and laws. You can’t just pray and continiue to practice things he warns against! It is not hard if you love HIM and want to please HIM…instead of your self all the time! Sexuality is a gift to be shared the way our Creator says it should be shared!

5. Regina says:

Bible says your either hot or cold and it goes on to say Kandi what profit a man to gain the world and loose hos soul….its easy to look at the beam our

6. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.

Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.