Alfonso Ribeiro Confirmed To Join Tyra Banks As Co-Host On ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Season 31
“Dancing with the Stars” winner Alfonso Ribeiro will join host Tyra Banks as a co-host when the former ABC hit show premiers next month on Disney+.
“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star Alfonso Ribeiro and Tyra Banks are reportedly set to join other “DWTS” fan-favorites for season 31, including judges Len Goodman, Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli, and Derek Hough.
As previously reported, the 50-year-old actor and television personality will return to the dancing competition series eight years after he won season 19 in 2014. In a press statement released on July 14, Alfonso Ribeiro shared his excitement about re-joining the long-established franchise. He said,
“‘Dancing with the Stars’ has been such an important part of my life for so many years, and I am ecstatic to officially re-join this tight-knit family as cohost. Tyra and I have a longstanding friendship that I hope will resonate with all of the fans at home as we kick off this new season on Disney+.”
Tyra Banks, who was controversially hired in 2020 to replace fan favorites Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews, spoke on looking forward to working with the “America’s Funniest Home Videos” host. The two previously appeared on “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” during Tyra Banks’ acting debut in the show’s fourth season. She shared,
“I’ve known Alfonso since I was 19 years old and he always puts a smile on my face whenever I see him.. Having such a fun-loving, longtime friend as co-host warms my heart. Plus, he’s won the competition before, so he knows exactly what the stars are going through. Bantering back and forth with him live is going to be so much fun!”
While Banks seemed to be excited to welcome her new co-host, the 48-year-old model and producer was given a choice to co-host season 31 of “Dancing with the Stars” with Ribeiro or be out of a job. According to a source,
“Tyra was basically told that she would have to co-host the show with Alfonso or not host the show at all.”
“Tyra tried to host the show solo, and it just didn’t work. She thought her personality and talent would be enough, but viewers didn’t agree. Focus groups showed they missed the chemistry of two hosts working together. Obviously, Tyra wasn’t happy about the decision, but she had no choice, if she refused, she would have been shown the door.”
In addition, sources close to “DWTS” have also said the “America’s Next Top Model” star is a “nightmare” to work with and viewers despise her. They said,
“Alfonso has worked with Tyra before and knows what he is getting into. She might not [want] him around, but the good news is everyone else does.”
“Dancing With The Stars” was dropped from ABC and received a two-year pickup from Disney+ following low ratings and backlash over Banks hosting the reality series. The “ANTM” creator is still facing criticism for the treatment of aspiring models on the competition show.
“DWTS” return to Disney+ will make it the first live reality show to be hosted on the streaming platform, which was launched in late 2019. The dancing competition series spent 30 seasons on ABC from 2005 through 2021 and returns on September 19 on Disney+.
Will you be watching Alfonso Ribeiro join Tyra Banks on “Dancing with the Stars”? Leave a comment below and let us know!