Tory Lanez’s Attorney Said The Rapper Was ‘Incredibly Sad and Down’ After Being Sentenced To 10 Years Over Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
Tory Lanez’s lawyer is speaking out after the Canadian rapper was sentenced to 10 years in prison for shooting Megan Thee Stallion in the foot.
A jury convicted Lanez, 31, of three felony charges in December: assault with a semi-automatic firearm; having a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle; and discharging a firearm with gross negligence and has been held in jail since.
Tory Lanez addressed the court before his sentencing. He apologized for his actions and said he took full responsibility for the 2020 shooting.
“If I could change it, I would, but I can’t. Everything I did that night, I take full responsibility. I truly am just trying to be a better person.”
Outside court on Tuesday (Aug. 8), Lanez’s attorney Jose Baez spoke with reporters about the rappers demeanor following the sentencing.
Baez said Tory’s demeanor was,
“Incredibly sad and down. Knowing that he’s not going to be around his child for such an extended period of time and knowing that he’s not going to be able to be there for the countless number of people who are dependent upon him and for his whole life’s purpose which is to help people and to be a beacon of light for some people.”
“Look, even if you want to believe that he’s guilty of these charges, one night and something so out of character does not judge an entire persons life.”
Prior to his sentencing, his lawyers argued he should be released from jail on probation and enrolled in a substance abuse program.
Prosecutors submitted their sentencing memo almost two months ago, requesting that Tory serve 13 years in prison for his actions. The legal document said that Tory orchestrated a “campaign of misinformation” aimed at humiliating and “re-traumatizing” Megan.
As previously reported, in 2020 Tory Lanez was accused of shooting Megan Thee Stallion in her foot after the pair left a party at Kylie Jenner’s home. The occurrence resulted in nationwide media coverage, which polarized the music world, and left many picking sides.
In a victim impact statement that was read in court on Monday (Aug. 7), Megan said:
“Since I was viciously shot by the defendant [Lanez], I have not experienced a single day of peace..Slowly but surely, I’m healing and coming back, but I will never be the same.”
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!