R.Kelly – Dubai Denies Plans For Singer’s Concert: He Has NOT Been Invited To Meet The Royal Family
Dubai’s government is denying claims that R. Kelly had planned concerts in the sheikhdom after he had sought permission from an Illinois judge to travel there despite facing sexual-abuse charges.
In a rare statement, the government’s Dubai Media Office also denied claims by his lawyer in court that Kelly had plans to meet the sheikhdom’s ruling Al Maktoum family. The statement said that
“Authorities in Dubai have not received any request for a performance by singer R. Kelly nor are there any venues that have been booked”.
It added Kelly
“has not been invited by the Dubai royal family for a performance.”
The R&B singer’s lawyer Steven A. Greenberg responded saying:
“Mr. Kelly had a signed contract with a legitimate promoter, and any information that was included in the motion to travel was from that contract. We did not say he was invited by The royal family, but the contract did provide that he would make himself available to meet with them.”
As previously reported, earlier this month, Kelly was charged on Feb. 22 with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse for allegedly assaulting three girls and one adult woman.
The charges came after the release of a documentary “Surviving R. Kelly.”
The singer has maintained his innocence.
Last week, Kelly’s attorney filed documents, explaining that the singer needed to raise money as
“he has struggled of late to pay his child support and other child related expenses.”
On Friday, he went to court, requesting permission to travel to travel to Dubai for shows. The filing did not elaborate on where Kelly was allegedly supposed to perform. Kelly’s attorney asked a judge for more time to provide details to the court about up to five concerts he wants to perform next month in Dubai. Greenberg told reporters outside court that he wanted to gather more information on the concerts to give Judge Lawrence Flood “a certain comfort level” about what the travel and concerts would entail.