Jussie Smollett — Judge Refuses To Back Down In Appointing Special Prosecutor

Jussie Smollett
Jussie Smollett – Judge Refuses To Back Down In Appointing Special Prosecutor
Jussie Smollett’s drama over his claims that he was attacked back in January is still going strong.
He made headlines after he said two men attacked him in Chicago while pouring bleach on him, tying a noose around his neck, and shouting “Make America Great Again” statements, referencing President Donald Trump’s slogan. He said they also hurled homophobic and racial slurs against him.
Things started to unravel for Smollett after the alleged attackers turned out to be two Nigerian brothers, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, who said Smollett paid them to stage the attack.

Jussie Smollett, Osundairo Brothers
As more reports came forward, Smollett was hit with 16 felony charges for filing a false police report. Those charges were tossed out shortly after, but Cook County Judge Michael Toomin appointed a special prosecutor to look into it last month.
While the former “Empire” actor’s legal team tried to block this, Toomin decided he would still appoint the special prosecutor Wednesday. Toomin also said he doesn’t plan on stepping down as the judge in the case, as Smollett’s team tried to get Toomin out. They said there’s an unfair advantage because Toomin reportedly thinks Smollett is guilty. Meanwhile, Toomin said the only opinion that’s relevant is that of the special prosecutor.
Toomin’s decision to get a special prosecutor involved came months after Kim Foxx stepped away from the cast.
Kim Foxx, the Cook County State’s Attorney who dropped the charges was caught up in a scandal over the whole thing after the charges were tossed out. Text message between Foxx and her assistant went viral in April. The texts were sent after she recused herself from the case. Despite dropping the charges, Foxx called Smollett a
“washed up celeb who lied to cops.”
She also compared the 16-count charge to R. Kelly who around the same time had been hit with 4 counts for allegedly assaulting women and underaged girls.

R.Kelly Mugshot
The texts read in full
“Sooo……I’m recused, but when people accuse us of overcharging cases…16 counts on a class 4 becomes exhibit A. Pedophile with 4 victims 10 counts. Washed up celeb who lied to cops, 16. On a case eligible for deferred prosecution I think it’s indicative of something we should be looking at generally. Just because we can charge something doesn’t mean we should.”
What do you think about the current status of the case? Tell us in the comments!
Previous Article
Next Article
Oprah Winfrey Explains Why She Expanded Into Podcasting At 72: ‘I Know How To Talk’
Tracee Ellis Ross Questions If Racism Led To ‘Girlfriends’ Being Overlooked Despite Strong Ratings
Malcolm-Jamal Warner’s Widow Gets $150K GoFundMe Campaign As She Fights Over His Estate In Court
Brandy Sings Theme Song For Netflix’s ‘A Different World’ Reboot
Wendy Williams Documentaries Reportedly In The Works At Peacock & Netflix In Separate Projects
[UPDATE] “Martin” Spinoff “The Varnell Hill Show” Officially Locks In September Release Date
Keke Palmer Set To Host “The Voice: Celebrity” As Carson Daly Steps Back From Star-Focused Extension
Keke Palmer Admits She Only Removes Her Leg Hair Every Six Months: ‘I Might Slap Some Nair On There’