‘Gossip Girl’ Reboot Canceled By HBO Max After 2 Seasons, Showrunner Says Series Is ‘Looking For Another Home’
After just two seasons, HBO Max has canceled its ‘Gossip Girl‘ reboot.
This cancellation confirms that, despite what some fans speculated, there will not be a third season of the drama series.
HBO Max said in a statement:
“We are very grateful to showrunner/executive producer Joshua Safran, and executive producers Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz for bringing us back to the Upper East Side and all the scandals at Constance Billard.”
“Although we are not moving forward with a third season of Gossip Girl, we thank them for the enticing love triangles, calculated backstabbing and impeccable fashion this series brought to a new audience.”
The new version of ‘Gossip Girl,’ which featured an entirely new cast, failed to live up to the reputation of the first series. The original show aired on the CW for six seasons from 2007 to 2012. According to reports, showrunner Josh Safran developed ‘Gossip Girl’ based on the popular novels by Cecily von Ziegesar, as well as the original series. The initial version of ‘Gossip Girl’ was developed by Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, both of whom served as executive producers on the new version.
Safran took to Instagram to announce the show’s cancellation with the ‘heaviest of hearts.’
“The EPs and I will forever be grateful to the network and studio for their faith and support; the writers for their devious brains and dexterous talent; the superstar cast for being the greatest of collaborators and friends; and the crew for their hard work, dedication and love for the project. This was honestly the greatest set I ever worked on, top to bottom.”
“We are currently looking for another home, but in this climate, that might prove an uphill bottle, and so if this is the end, at least we went out on the highest of highs. Thank you for watching, and I hope you’ll tune into the finale next Thursday to see how it all comes together.”
Initially, there was great interest in the ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot among viewers, however, that quickly changed. The show previously set a record for the most-watched opening weekend of a new HBO Max series when it premiered in July 2021. However, since then, viewer interest has reportedly decreased.
Despite reported decreasing ratings, some fans were pretty upset over the news that the series had been canceled.
One user wrote:
“I cannot believe they cancelled Gossip Girl. Idc what anyone says, that show was crack.”
Another person said,
“@netflix Can you do us a favor and pick up Gossip Girl from HBO Max. They made a huge mistake not renewing”
‘Gossip Girl’s’ second season is currently streaming on HBO Max, with the finale scheduled for January 26.
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!