Vice Media Files For Bankruptcy To Facilitate Sale

Vice Media Files For Bankruptcy To Facilitate Sale
Vice Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday (May 15) to facilitate a sale of the company and protect its future.
Vice Media publishes news, technology and lifestyle websites such as Vice, Motherboard and Refinery29. The filing stated that the company had assets and liabilities valued between $500 million and $1 billion.
A group of creditors, which includes Fortress Investment Group, Soros Fund Management and Monroe Capital, made a conditional bid for substantially all of the company’s assets, according to Vice. The lenders agreed to provide approximately $225 million and would assume “significant liabilities” upon the closing of the deal.

The plan to sell the company comes weeks after they announced a major restructuring that will result in dozens of job cuts and the end of its popular program “Vice News Tonight.”
On the other hand, Vice appears to be hopeful that the sale will be a positive move in the long run.
Co-chief executive officers Bruce Dixon and Hozefa Lokhandwala said:
“This accelerated court-supervised sale process will strengthen the company and position Vice for long-term growth…We will have new ownership, a simplified capital structure and the ability to operate without the legacy liabilities that have been burdening our business. We look forward to… charting a healthy and successful next chapter at VICE.”
The bankruptcy filing comes amid a challenging period for several technology, news, and entertainment companies, as they resort to downsizing in recent months due to a turbulent economy and a weak advertising market.
In April, Buzzfeed said it would close down its news division altogether, and last week Paramount Media pulled the plug on MTV News.
As you may already know, recent reports revealed that the news production division of MTV is coming to an end after 36 years. The shutdown is reportedly the result of parent company Paramount Global dropping 25% of its staff. Many of the division’s former VJs and staff spoke out, sharing thoughtful memories and their sadness about the entire ordeal.
Former VJ (video jockey) Ananda Lewis, who worked for MTV News from 1996 – 2001 reportedly stated:
“A pillar of creative and diverse speech is crumbling. MTV News covered things no one else could…We could get inside the trailer with DMX and Korn as they were taking historic concert stages. Artists trusted MTV News to tell their stories.”
She added:
“Even though I was technically a VJ, I did many specials with MTV News and know firsthand what a huge loss this is for the culture of music and all who love it.”

Previous Article
Next Article
Harvard Agrees To $53 Million Settlement After Former Morgue Manager Stole & Sold Body Parts From Donated Bodies
Family Of Nolan Wells, Mississippi College Student Who Mysteriously Died During 4th Of July Boating Trip, Pens Heartfelt Message On What Would Have Been His 19th Birthday
Florida Police Officer Accused Of Using Flock Cameras To Keep Tabs On His Estranged Wife More Than 700 Times
Jasmine Brand Brings 30 DC-Area Women Together For Intimate ‘CONNECT’ Brunch, Plans Multi-City Expansion
Woman Claims GLP-1 Weight Loss Drugs Caused Her To Lose Her Eyesight, Wants Warning Added To Labels
[Update] Atlanta Sisters Found Safe After Babysitter Allegedly Abducted Them-Mother Believes Woman Had Been ‘Plotting’ To Steal Her Kids
NAACP Joins Legal Team Representing Family Of Nolan Wells
Amber Alert Issued: Atlanta Police Say Babysitter Abducted Two Young Sisters