R. Kelly Requests To Remove Jurors Who’ve Seen ‘Surviving R. Kelly’ From Chicago Trial
As jury selection is expected to begin for his second federal trial in Chicago, R. Kelly’s legal team wants to remove anyone who has seen the “Surviving R. Kelly” docuseries as a potential juror.
According to reports, the disgraced singer and his team filed a request on August 15 to reject any jurors who had seen any part of Lifetime’s “Surviving R. Kelly” docuseries. R. Kelly’s attorneys argued that anyone who had seen any portion of the series could not be fair. The document read,
“any potential juror who has watched any portion of this docuseries must be disqualified for cause on whether they can be fair, too great a risk exists that such a juror would base their verdict on matters not introduced into evidence in the courtroom.”
According to R. Kelly’s team, there’s no way the jurors could give the Chicago artist a fair chance if they’ve watched the now-viral docuseries.
Kelly’s facing child pornography and obstruction of justice charges in Chicago, and his alleged victim from his 2008 case is reportedly expected to testify. Per reports, his team said there are episodes that talk specifically about his 2008 prosecution, in which he was acquitted. In addition, they claimed the series also includes allegations that the government has said won’t be featured in this trial.
Reportedly, Judge Harry Leinenweber denied the defense’s request to ban any jurors who had seen any part of the series. Jury selection is expected to begin Monday (August 15).
As previously reported, Kelly, born Robert Sylvester Kelly, 55, was sentenced to 30 years in prison on June 29 for his sex trafficking & racketeering crimes. He was also ordered to pay a $100,000 fine.
Do you agree with the Judge’s decision to deny R. Kelly’s request? Tell us in the comments below.