Dr. Dre Reportedly Selling Parts Of His Musical Catalog, Including Share Of N.W.A. Royalties, For More Than $200 Million 

Dr. Dre Reportedly Selling Parts Of His Musical Catalog, Including Share Of N.W.A. Royalties, For More Than $200 Million

Money is never a problem for Dr. Dre, especially when it comes to the music.

According to sources, legendary rapper/producer Dr. Dre is handing over some of his recording assets to Shamrock Holdings and Universal Music Group.

Dr. Dre

The transactions, which are separately underway, have outlined a deal to acquire a collection of income streams and other musical valuables for a whopping estimate of over $200 million. Reportedly, Dr. Dre’s catalog goods generate around $10 million yearly, and the Aftermath Entertainment CEO’s attorney, Peter Paterno, shopped the belongings to the highest bidder.

Shamrock Holdings and Universal Music Group will allegedly obtain artist royalties from two of Dre’s solo albums and his share of projects done with iconic hip-hop group N.W.A. 


The terms also list the 57-year-old’s production commission and writer’s portion of his songs’ archive, including hits from his classic, 1993 album, ‘The Chronic.’

In addition to Universal Music Group’s 10% to 25% acquisition of those proceeds (with Shamrock Holdings said to retrieve the remaining 75% to 90% of the package), the company will secure the master recording of ‘The Chronic’ and the stake of Dre’s joint endeavor with Top Dawg Entertainment. ‘The Chronic’ is expected to return to Dre from Death Row Entertainment this fall. His Aftermath label is excluded.

The news of Dre’s musical catalog being up for sale comes only days after the Compton native slammed republican Marjorie Taylor Greene for the usage of his track, ‘Still D.R.E.,’ in one of her political ads.

When responding to Marjorie Taylor Greene’s nonconsensual promo tactic, he said,

“I don’t license my music to politicians, especially someone as divisive and hateful as this one.”

Dr. Dre, Marjorie Taylor Greene

Dr. Dre, Marjorie Taylor Greene

Born Andre Romelle Young, celebrated hitmaker Dr. Dre is often noted as one of the most illustrious entertainment moguls of all time. After rising to prominence with N.W.A., he later found success with the infamous Death Row Records, which catapulted a number of works (from himself and others that he aided) that soon deemed Dre a king of the West Coast’s rap culture for many generations to come.

What’s your favorite song by Dr. Dre? Let us know in the comments below!


Authored by: Ashley Blackwell