Oscar De La Hoya has reportedly admitted himself to a treatment facility as he continues to fight substance abuse, days ahead of the big fight his company is promoting between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Canelo Alvarez. This week, the former boxer issued a statement Tuesday saying he voluntarily admitted himself to an unnamed facility. He explained in a statement:
I will not be at the fight this Saturday to cheer Canelo to victory since I have voluntarily admitted myself into a treatment facility. I explained this to Canelo and he understood that my health and long term recovery from my disease must come first.
Alvarez said De La Hoya called him on Monday to tell him he wouldn’t be at the fight.
I support him in the great battle he has in his life. I’m sure he’s going to win his battle and I’m going to win my battle.
Mayweather, who beat De La Hoya in 2007, commented:
Hopefully he can get better and pull through like a true champion.
This isn’t De La Hoya’s first public challenge with substance abuse. Two years ago, he admitted that he was an alcoholic and drug user and had been in treatment. He told the Los Angeles Times last month that he sometimes attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings six days a week, but had slipped at times in his treatment. Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said he did not try to talk De La Hoya out of going into rehab before the fight, even though he is active in the promotion.
It’s not perfect timing. But they say that the show must go on and it will.