Joel Osteen Responds To Hurricane Backlash: We were here for people.
Joel Osteen Responds To Hurricane Backlash
Pastor Joel Osteen said today (August 3) that his Lakewood Church has been taking people in “from the very beginning” of the Hurricane Harvey, addressing criticism that the mega church did not initially welcome evacuees. He stated,
We were here for people. We were a shelter. We were taking people as soon as the floodwaters receded.
Osteen also called it “totally not true” that the church did not open early enough for the residents of Houston, the nation’s fourth-largest city that has been devastated by Harvey.
I think somebody created that narrative that somehow we were high and dry and none of that is true. This building — it was a safety issue and we took people in from the very beginning.
Osteen said church officials initially feared the building would flood and did not want to put staff members and volunteers in danger. When asked if he would do anything differently, Osteen replied,
We would probably do some things differently, obviously. It was a big flood and it affected all of the people that run this facility as well. But, you know what, we’ve been here 60 years helping people and we’re going to be here long after all this dies down helping these people as well.
Follow us: @theJasmineBRAND on Twitter | theJasmineBRAND on Facebook| theJasmineBRAND_ on Instagram

Previous Article
Next Article
Harvard Agrees To $53 Million Settlement After Former Morgue Manager Stole & Sold Body Parts From Donated Bodies
Family Of Nolan Wells, Mississippi College Student Who Mysteriously Died During 4th Of July Boating Trip, Pens Heartfelt Message On What Would Have Been His 19th Birthday
Florida Police Officer Accused Of Using Flock Cameras To Keep Tabs On His Estranged Wife More Than 700 Times
Jasmine Brand Brings 30 DC-Area Women Together For Intimate ‘CONNECT’ Brunch, Plans Multi-City Expansion
Woman Claims GLP-1 Weight Loss Drugs Caused Her To Lose Her Eyesight, Wants Warning Added To Labels
[Update] Atlanta Sisters Found Safe After Babysitter Allegedly Abducted Them-Mother Believes Woman Had Been ‘Plotting’ To Steal Her Kids
NAACP Joins Legal Team Representing Family Of Nolan Wells
Amber Alert Issued: Atlanta Police Say Babysitter Abducted Two Young Sisters
What about the video, liar?