Kobe Bryant Slammed Over Rape Accusation After Oscar Win
Kobe Bryant Rape Accusation Resurfaces After Oscar Win
Kobe Bryant received a bit of backlash on social media last night. The retired NBA baller took home an Oscar for “Dear Basketball”, winning for best animated short. However, his win brought sharp criticism on social media, as a 2003 rape accusation against him resurfaced.
Accepting the award, Bryant said the win was validation he could succeed both on and off the court. Referencing comments made by Fox News host Laura Ingraham, who suggested athletes like LeBron James shouldn’t comment on politics, he stated,
As basketball players, we’re told to shut up and dribble. I’m glad we did a little bit more than that.
Kobe Bryant accepts #Oscar for Best Animated Short: “As basketball players, we’re really supposed to shut up and dribble. But I’m glad we do a little bit more than that.” https://t.co/lJd891ISOk #Oscars pic.twitter.com/5dLQ6CwRlB
— ABC News (@ABC) March 5, 2018
Bryant was arrested in 2003 after a 19-year-old accused him of rape. He has maintained his innocence and described the sexual encounter as consensual. The case was dropped the following year after the woman said she was unwilling to testify in court.
Prior to last night’s win, a petition was launched to remove his Oscar nomination. And last night, on social media, a few social media reactions called Bryant out, amid the rise of the #MeToo and Time’s Up movement. See some reactions below.
Do you agree with people criticizing Kobe over the rape accusation?
Follow us: @theJasmineBRAND on Twitter | theJasmineBRAND on Facebook| theJasmineBRAND_ on Instagram












Previous Article
Next Article
Harvard Agrees To $53 Million Settlement After Former Morgue Manager Stole & Sold Body Parts From Donated Bodies
Family Of Nolan Wells, Mississippi College Student Who Mysteriously Died During 4th Of July Boating Trip, Pens Heartfelt Message On What Would Have Been His 19th Birthday
Florida Police Officer Accused Of Using Flock Cameras To Keep Tabs On His Estranged Wife More Than 700 Times
Jasmine Brand Brings 30 DC-Area Women Together For Intimate ‘CONNECT’ Brunch, Plans Multi-City Expansion
Woman Claims GLP-1 Weight Loss Drugs Caused Her To Lose Her Eyesight, Wants Warning Added To Labels
[Update] Atlanta Sisters Found Safe After Babysitter Allegedly Abducted Them-Mother Believes Woman Had Been ‘Plotting’ To Steal Her Kids
NAACP Joins Legal Team Representing Family Of Nolan Wells
Amber Alert Issued: Atlanta Police Say Babysitter Abducted Two Young Sisters
She wasn’t raped. That’s what the end result is – Ms. “Every man’s semen in her panties” trick…. #We Didn’tForget
This is old news, MOVE ALONG!!
Who didn’t see this coming. We all saw what happened to Nate Parker. What kills me is that when black men go before the justice system and they are exonerated, they are still guilty in the eyes of the public court. Black men can’t win for losing but I will do my part to hold them up.