Russell Simmons ‘Deeply Disappointed’ After Being Banned From NYC Yoga Studio Amid Sexual Assault Allegations

Russell Simmons

Russell Simmons ‘Deeply Disappointed’ After Being Banned From NYC Yoga Studio Amid Sexual Assault Allegations

Russell Simmons is no longer allowed at a New York City studio thanks to sexual assault claims against him, according to reports.

Modo Yoga NYC, located in the West Village area, sent an email to Simmons Thursday (Sept. 12) and asked him not to come to the studio.

The email reportedly comes after Simmons, who moved to Bali last year amid the sexual assault allegations, went to classes at the studio during a visit to Manhattan recently.

Simmons was said to be caught off guard by the studio’s request as its management invited him, then asked him to leave. He said he was told his

“presence had ‘triggered some members.’”

He added,

“I’m deeply disappointed and hurt by it. Guilty by accusation, I don’t believe is a good way to go forward.”

Modo owners responded to Simmons’  statement and said,

“We do not pass judgment, gossip or comment on any of our students … However, when we receive complaints from students who are uncomfortable because of another student’s alleged conduct outside of Modo, we are put in a difficult position.”

While he wasn’t welcome at Modo, Simmons said others have been much more positive about responding to his return to NYC.

“My reception has been heartwarming. People wanted to throw dinners for me at their houses in the Hamptons ….. I went to a Southampton event and it was all the bankers — you could have blown up all the money in the world at one time — and not one person said anything negative to me.”

Russell Simmons

Meanwhile, Simmons is still involved in an ongoing lawsuit from an anonymous woman’s claims that he raped her and threatened her son. She’s suing him for $10 million. Most recently, Simmons’ lawyers said that her legal team informed them via email as they negotiated a settlement, that the incident occurred in 1988. If so, her lawsuit might not be valid because of a two-year statute of limitation. But L.A. Superior Court Judge Marc Gross said,

“[A]dmissions made during the course of settlement negotiations are inadmissible. Here, defendant relies on the email to prove plaintiff’s claims are barred. However, it is clear the information in the email was disclosed in the course of settlement negotiations.”

Simmons’ counsel also pointed out that the woman said the incident happened in a Clarion Hotel that has since closed its doors. But the court wasn’t moved by that argument either.

“[T]his is not simply new evidence but an entirely new argument that could have been raised in the moving papers. Thus, the court, in its discretion, will not consider the new argument or evidence filed with the reply papers.”

What are your thoughts on the yoga studio banning Simmons? Tell us in the comments.

Authored by: Char Patterson