Andrew Gillum Says He Passed Out On The Night Of Hotel Room Scandal: I Have No Idea What Happened For 3 Hours

Andrew Gillum

Andrew Gillum Says He Passed Out On The Night Of Hotel Room Scandal: I Have No Idea What Happened For 3 Hours

Andrew Gillum is giving more details about what happened the night of his now infamous hotel scandal in Miami.

According to reports, police were called to a Miami Beach hotel on March 12 after the former candidate for Florida governor was found heavily intoxicated in a room with another man, reportedly suffering a possible cardiac arrest. Police also found pills and crystal meth in the room. No one was criminally charged. It was later revealed that the male found in the room with Andrew Gillum was Travis Dyson, a male escort. Andrew Gillum also checked into rehab for alcohol abuse.

In the second part of his interview with Tamron Hall, Andrew Gillum has shared more of what occurred.

He said was in Miami for a wedding. He had a day early for meetings while his wife, R. Jai Gillum, was scheduled to meet him the following day. They planned to rent a home with five couples for the wedding.

“I had free time before everybody started to land. So, I spent it how I would normally spend free time and I started drinking in the afternoon… probably 4 hours before I left.”

He continued and said he reached out to an acquaintance who he had met a few months before about linking up. He said the person previously saluted his campaign for governor which

“led to a level of trust that I probably should’ve withheld, not knowing folks.”

He added that he only planned to meet the friend to say hi but ended up having another drink.

“This one’s prepared for me. The last memory I have is sitting there drinking. The next memory that I have is, I am in a bathroom with no clothes on, with five police officers. The EMT worker said ‘Your friend had an overdose.’ When I heard overdose, I thought dead. They asked me ‘Did you take anything?’ I’m like ‘No, I didn’t take anything. I was drinking earlier, that was it.'”

He said the police then asked him if he knew that he had been vomiting and could’ve choked. He continued:

“I have no idea what happened with three hours. At the time that I had last consciousness, there was only two of us [in the room].”

He said the lieutenant then offered to give him a ride to his hotel. He later took an Uber to the rental home where he said his wife was sleeping. The next morning, he said he had to tell her that he might have been a witness to a crime. Things went public when conservative political analyst Candace Owens tweeted out a leaked police report of the incident.

He maintains that his purpose for going to the hotel room was just to meet with a friend. He added:

“Someone decided to use a moment where I was literally lying in my own vomit… Everyone believes the absolute worst about that day. At this stage, I don’t have anything else I have to conceal. I literally got broken down to my most bare place. To the place where I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to live. Not because of what I had done, but because of everything that was being said about me. What was most hurtful was this belief that I was somehow living a lie in my marriage and my family… I believe we’re all entitled to mistakes without having every other respectable and redeeming part of our lives invalidated. I felt like the love that I have between my wife and I, my family, but most important the authenticity that I try to lead with was all in question at this point.”

He later came out as bisexual.

What do you think of Andrew Gillum’s account of what happened? Comment and let us know.


Authored by: Char Patterson