Ava DuVernay 1st African American Female Director Whose Film Grossed $100 Million!
Acclaimed director Ava DuVernay just keeps giving us the black girl magic! After only 101 days in theaters, her movie, “A Wrinkle in Time,” has grossed over $100 million at the box office. This sets a
record for DuVernay. She is officially the first African American female director whose film grossed $100 million and only the 13th African American director to do so.
This isn’t DuVernay’s first time breaking records with this film. Opening in March, “A Wrinkle in Time” grossed over $33 million in it’s first weekend. With Ryan Coogler’s “Black Panther” at number one and her film at number two, this marked the first time two films lead by a black directors sat at the top two spots. DuVernay thanked Disney for their faith in the film posting,
Thanks to @Disney for believing in the film from Day One to Weekend 15. Could have easily written it off. They never did. And thanks to all the kids and families who’ve continued to see the film in theaters. Tesser well. xo
Thanks to @Disney for believing in the film from Day One to Weekend 15. Could have easily written it off. They never did. And thanks to all the kids and families who’ve continued to see the film in theaters. Tesser well. xo https://t.co/Z3B8fFK0y9
— Ava DuVernay (@ava) June 17, 2018
BlackFilm.com, has composed a list of films with black directors and how long it took to reach the $100 million mark:
- Ryan Coogler (2018) “Black Panther” (2 Days, $699.6M and counting)
- Ryan Coogler (2015) “Creed” (38 Days, $109M)
- Lee Daniels (2013) “The Butler” (46 days, $116M)
- F. Gary Gray (2015) “Straight Outta Compton” (9 Days, $161M)
- Malcolm D. Lee (2017) “Girl’s Trip” (28 days, $140M)
- Jordan Peele (2017) “Get Out” (16 days, $175M)
- John Singleton (2003) “2 Fast 2 Furious” (17 days, $127M)
- Keenan Ivory Wayans (2000) “Scary Movie” (14 days, $157M )
Have you seen “A Wrinkle in Time” yet?