The NFL Has Reportedly “Moved On” From Colin Kaepernick Post Private Workout
Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s career with the NFL could be officially over, according to new details stemming from his private workout last month. NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell spoke to reporters during the league’s winter meetings in Irving, Texas Wednesday (Dec. 11). Goodell said the league provided Kaepernick with a unique opportunity to make his return to the field after a 3-year hiatus, but he reportedly added that the league has officially “moved on” from signing the former 49ers quarterback. Reporter Ian Rapoport tweeted,
“On Colin Kaepernick and what went into the FA workout, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said, “It was about opportunity, a credible opportunity. He chose not to take it, and I understand that.” And the league has moved on.”
Last month, the NFL announced the controversial private workout that only allowed Kaepernick less than a week to prepare for more than 20 teams that reportedly confirmed their attendance. On the day of the workout, the 32-year-old quarterback moved the tryout from the Atlanta Falcons facility to a local high school after learning the media would not be permitted to attend otherwise.
Media personality Nessa Diab, who is also Colin Kaepernick’s long-term girlfriend, posted details of the new location which included a statement that addressed the media access for transparency.
After the workout, the free-agent quarterback spoke with the media on his potential new opportunity to be a part of a roster. In his message, the social justice activist put the league on notice, calling out league commissioner, Roger Goodell and all 32 owners, telling them to “stop running.” He said,
“I’ve been ready for three years. I’ve been denied for three years. We all know why I came out here. [I] showed it today in front of everybody. We have nothing to hide. So we’re waiting for the 32 owners, 32 teams, Roger Goodell, all of them stop running. Stop running from the truth. Stop running from the people.”
Following his workout in Atlanta, it was reported that music mogul, Jay-z had “influence,” in creating the opportunity for Kaepernick to make his highly anticipated return to the NFL.
According to sources, Jay allegedly forced the hand of the commissioner in response to his public backlash after partnering with the NFL. Sportscaster Dan Patrick said,
“According to my source, JAY-Z said that he took a reputational bullet for the commissioner when they had that press conference [with] his new role in the NFL. Social agenda. Social injustice. He was gonna help with the entertainment for halftime. All of this. My source said that JAY-Z was pressuring the commissioner to do the right thing and have this workout for Colin Kaepernick.”
Kaepernick started in 11 of 12 games he played in during the 2016 season as a member of the 49ers. He’s a career 28-30 QB with 72 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. He was allegedly blackballed after he protested against police brutality by kneeling when the national anthem was sung during games. And now it appears the NFL has closed the book on Kaepernick’s return.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments!