Rayshard Brooks – Family Of Man Fatally Shot By Atlanta Police Officers In Wendy’s Drive-Thru Reaches $1 Million Settlement

Rayshard Brooks

Rayshard Brooks – Family Of Man Fatally Shot By Atlanta Police Officers In Wendy’s Drive-Thru Reaches $1 Million Settlement

The civil case involving slain Atlanta resident Rayshard Brooks has come to a close.

According to reports, the city of Atlanta reached a $1 million settlement with Brooks’ family more than 2 years after his death. Back in 2020, then-27-year-old Rayshard Brooks was shot and killed by Atlanta Police officers after falling asleep in a Wendy’s drive-thru.

Lawyers representing the Brooks family in their wrongful death civil suit against the city released the following statement on the settlement:

“The family of Rayshard Brooks is pleased to have reached a settlement with the city of Atlanta that resolves their civil case. This grieving family has been through so much during this process. Although the children of Mr. Brooks have lost their father, settling the case will undoubtedly assist them with future plans as they come of age,” 

Rayshard Brooks

It continued:

“While we are disappointed that prosecutors didn’t pursue a criminal case against the officers involved in Mr. Brooks’ death, we continue to hold out hope that the Dept. of Justice will intervene in this matter.”

Brooks’ tragic death came on the heels of two other high-profile police killings. The murders of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd, who were wrongfully killed by law enforcement officers around the same time, shed new light on the seriousness of civilian casualties at the hands of police, especially Black Americans. Following Brooks’ death, there were several Black Lives Matter protests, the Wendy’s was set on fire, and the police chief at the time resigned.

While the officers involved in the Taylor and Floyd murders were charged and convicted, the same did not happen in Brooks’ case. Unlike the other two, Brooks reportedly resisted arrest and attempted to flee after failing a breathalyzer test. Body cam footage shows the officers trying to subdue Brooks, who eventually fires their own tasers at the officers, leading to his fatal shooting.

The shooting officer was initially charged with felony murder, aggravated assault, violations of oath of office and criminal damage to property. While the accompanying officer was charged with aggravated assault and violating his oath. However, back in August, a Georgia special prosecutor reportedly found them not guilty on all charges, and the case was dismissed.


Do you think the settlement reached was fair? Let us know in the comments. 

Authored by: Kay Johnson